Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: e classic 1400 has trickle of smoke  (Read 7408 times)

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
Re: e classic 1400 has trickle of smoke
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »

Mike, The times where I've completely overloaded the firebox and had too much of a coal/ash bed, I've simply loaded less than I previously did, or I would let it burn down a bit before adding more wood for the next 12 hour cycle.  This warm spell (upper 20's) we're getting makes it difficult on me to put in less wood than I did when it was extremely cold, I'm afraid the fire will go out and I know it won't.  It's a psychological thing with me.  Roger

Funny, I do the same thing. When temps hit 20 degrees after a prolonged subzero stretch, it takes me a couple days before I quit overloading the stove the wood.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Maple Mike

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E classic 1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »

Just got home from work, we’ve been real busy so I haven’t had time to do anything with the boiler. Have to work for a few hours tomorrow morning then after that I plan on changing out the secondary elbow. I’m not feeding the boiler full tonight so that I can give it a full cleaning tomorrow.
When I ordered the the new stainless elbow I forgot to order the stainless disc, so I’ll have to fab something. Totally spaced it.
Anyway, thank you all for your advice
I will keep you all informed with my results

Thanks,
Mike
Kubota L3010 w/Woods backhoe
Wallenstien fx90 skidding winch

Bridgewater, NH

Maple Mike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:01:41 PM »

Hello everyone, this is my first post.
So I have an e-classic 1400 that I bought new in 2010 and for the most part has been working great. This season I noticed a trickle of smoke from the chimney when it’s not running. Never did this before. When I open the firebox door I get blasted with so much thick white smoke. Again never did this before.  The coals are glowing around the hole in the bottom and hollowing out the coal bed. So I’m assuming I have an air leak in the secondary air tube. I’ve checked the elbows and rubber hose and they look good, and the disc on top of the elbow is fine also. I pulled the refractory target and metal box out and everything looks great (I have installed the updated refractory that eliminates the 3 metal rods). Also replaced the firebox door gasket, reaction chamber door gasket and bypass door gasket.
Now to the creasote. The box the houses the solenoids is caked with creasote, so bad that it’s very difficult to open the door. The primary elbow and tube was almost half full of soft tar with some watery creasote. The secondary air tube had a little creasote but was of a drier form.

As far as performance, I can get reaction temps that average 1200-1400, and it gets there quickly. I’ve seen it as high as 1540 this year.
My wood is two years seasoned and all hardwood and load every 12hrs.
Anyone have any ideas on this air leak?
Sorry for being so long, but wanted to give as much info as I could

Thank you
Mike

Mike,
Where you located, Mike? 

Roger
Where are you located Roger?

Bridgewater, NH

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 02:12:17 AM »

Mike, The times where I've completely overloaded the firebox and had too much of a coal/ash bed, I've simply loaded less than I previously did, or I would let it burn down a bit before adding more wood for the next 12 hour cycle.  This warm spell (upper 20's) we're getting makes it difficult on me to put in less wood than I did when it was extremely cold, I'm afraid the fire will go out and I know it won't.  It's a psychological thing with me.  Roger

Funny, I do the same thing. When temps hit 20 degrees after a prolonged subzero stretch, it takes me a couple days before I quit overloading the stove the wood.

You're lucky you're able to cut back after a couple of days, it lasts for at least a couple of weeks for me.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Maple Mike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »

Well I finally got the new stainless secondary elbow installed and it still has an air leak. The original one was starting to corrode. I really thought that would’ve done the trick. So I gave the boiler a cleaning while it was off and I’ll just run it for the remainder of the season and change the firebox door gasket in the summer.

One thing I did notice is the factory cut on the new elbow where the solenoid plate makes contact was not perfectly flat. I could see daylight through it. I spent some time filing it so it sits flat now

Bridgewater, NH

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 03:10:09 AM »

Mike - You asked where I'm from;  I live in Enfield, NH., not too far from Dartmouth College.

Man, what a bummer, spend the money and time and it still leaks.  I hope you find that leak sooner rather than later.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 02:43:45 PM »

We just had the boiler smoking all week. Burned more wood than we should have  and yesterday it got up to  200* with no real demand. New door seal so that was out and the bypass had a good seal and the reaction chamber door was fine. Even though the two solenoids were closing I played with them and watched the smoke go away. The secondary was clean and not a problem so I took the primary one off even though I had scrapped it out last week. I took it apart and cleaned it with a wire wheel and cleaned the solenoid damper door, it had some creosote on it but not to bad. Now no more smoke at idle, it was open enough to keep a low smolder going. Lots of creosote in the fire box. Once again I am paying for running pine that wasn't aged well. Next season I will have better fuel. I am aiming to have 20 cord so I can age some for 2 years
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor
Pages: 1 [2]