Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wood usage comparisons  (Read 7677 times)

jreimer

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Wood usage comparisons
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 01:53:13 PM »

I am right now.  Just spruce and spruce structured cutoffs from a pallet factory in town.  I have some ash for when I need >10 hour burns if needed.
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »

Like I said, reasoning is solid and your right, taking a guess on how much your using can get sketchy.

My father AKA The Chimney Fire King, still can’t believe we actually stack the wood in totes instead of just leaving it in a pile. Probably give him another stroke if he found out we were weighing it too.  :P
:post: Very funny too....LOL

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 08:06:02 AM »

I'm just about at 50% though my 6 ton bulk bin!   :thumbup:
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »

I didn't do anything fancy to know my approximate weights.  Rubbermaid storage tubs from Walmart and the bathroom scale (needless to say the wife was not impressed).  Measured how many tubs worth of wood I was using, weighed a few tubs and there was my approximation.  You don't have to check every time.  After a few days and different weather scenarios you can judge how much wood you're using and how much your logs and splits weigh.  If you're unsure or if you change species, just fill the tubs and weigh them again before throwing that wood into the boiler.

Sure it won't come close to passing any engineering test, but with a bit of due diligence in measuring I think it's still more accurate than saying "I use 1/2 a firebox full a day every 8-14 hours".

I know it's still not perfect but it could help standardize troubleshooting when we're trying to diagnose problems over the web.

I like your thinking.  When I first commissioned my system in 2010, I weighed the wood, measured boiler temps and monitored the time to try to get a sense of the overall efficiency.  To weigh the wood, I put blocks in a heavy shopping bag and used a luggage scale.  I soon learned, that in my case, an average sized block of seasoned wood was 14 lbs.  There is no need to over analyze and over think all this.  Keep it simple and there is a much greater chance of continuing the measure and monitor process.
There is some debate as to how much BTU's are available in a pound of wood.   We have to take into account the water in the wood, also the hydrogen that is combined within the wood's hydro carbon structure as it also combines with oxygen to form water.  This process creates heat, but stack temp needs to be kept high enough so this water does not condense.  So some will say 6800 BTU/lb, and I have seen estimates as low as 6050 BTU/lb.  You are right in that species is basically irrelevant.

Some fun bedtime reading;

http://mha-net.org/docs/v8n2/docs/WDBASICS.pdf
Muskoka, Ont

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 10:38:57 AM »

Thanks BoilerHouse.  That's a great document that I've read before. 

I've measured my BTU recovery efficiency in more ways than I can count.  I have used the 6000-6500 BTU per pound of wood (20% moisture, 100% heat recovery efficiency) calculation before.  I've discovered that a very conservative calculation is 4500+ BTU per pound of actual heat to my house.  I'm always hitting at least this efficiency or better.  That would put my stove at around 75% efficiency, just like the EPA sticker on the unit says.
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »

I'm burning oak debarked slabs. I know -21f takes 400 lbs for 12 hours. I have burned 10 bundles 2100 lbs a bundle started season with 42,000 lbs of slabs. There dry to 15-25% heating 6600sqft
I call them Atomic slabs. Serious heat in them . Only need to make 2 cuts in each bundle.

Heat550

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 01:51:07 PM »

Wow, 800 lbs. in 24 hours!  That's 5,200,000 raw BTU's.  Good thing you're getting your wood delivered and not cutting it yourself.
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 04:11:34 AM »

Slabs are a funny burn they get so dam hot . Im only putting in about 200 lbs at a time and getting 8 hours below 0f
but -21f  stepped that up even more .. There oak so last alot longer then soft wood . But ya its a different style of burning .
with math I can fit about 600 lbs slabs in the boiler but Im not going to because they all burn at once . and Im not going to put the flippers to the test maybe on a day without wind I can try more at a time .. But its working I don't need to push harder .Im still in the testing faze .. at below 0f as I put the slabs in they start on fire just when they get by the door . Its pretty crazy . I know Im getting my 6388 btus per pound LOL

Heat550

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 08:03:22 AM »

Jeepers, that seems like a LOT of slabs. Guess I've never weighed my wood but I would estimate 75-150 lbs per loading, twice a day depending on temp. What does your 800 lbs a day come out to be in a full season, cord-wise Heat550? Maybe I'm way off. Also, is there any sort of draft damper plate to adjust air input on your stove? If you're blowing through the wood by loading it for 12 hours, I wonder if you could choke the air down a little bit to even out the burn some

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 01:23:09 AM »

Yes Im playing with drafts still..putting pan like in front of draft fans to slow it down .. each bundle is 2100 pounds below 0f it goes fast. Above 0f it hardly taking any . So if you figure in warm days and cold days I average about bundle a week. I got 20 bundles witch works to little over 11 cord  so far I burned 12 bundles and have 8 left . I think I will make it thru the winter long as we don't have weeks of subzero. 20 bundles 42,000 lbs  it's the same as $3500 bucks of LP I figure in stove and furnace efficiencies. I'm heating 2 good size houses and shop and garage. 6600sqft

Heat550

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »

slabs in my Heatmor were insane. so hot, that's the only time that I burnt my beard...lol

I found what worked best in my Heatmor 400 was 4ft rounds of oak about 4-6" in diameter. I would stack about 3/4 firebox and even in negative temps, she would pur right along. I also liked to mix large 4ft rounds of softwoods like pine, maple and even poplar with the oak slabwood. that seemed to be a good combination.

now with my g200 its been a crazy transition. I am using WAY LESS wood and heating more square feet. Im not sure on the total poundage but on a typical day I would say I load 12-14, 20-22" long, 4-6" splits twice per day heating 4400 sqft. sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the weather

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 10:01:16 PM »

If I can burn 11 cord of oak slabs in a winter it's a record because that will be the least amount of wood I put in boiler over a winter.
Least of chunk oak was 12 cord and that was a mild winter.  6600 sqft is alot of space to heat it all got out of hand lol . If I do some better insulation install and tight up air leaks I might get to point I'm at 10 cord.  But that might be a dream because the one house is held at 76f  it's 28x48 it takes alot of BTUs. lol

Heat550

Yes oak slabs are about dialing down the draft fans. They burn hot !!

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 02:31:47 AM »

slabs in my Heatmor were insane. so hot, that's the only time that I burnt my beard...lol

I found what worked best in my Heatmor 400 was 4ft rounds of oak about 4-6" in diameter. I would stack about 3/4 firebox and even in negative temps, she would pur right along. I also liked to mix large 4ft rounds of softwoods like pine, maple and even poplar with the oak slabwood. that seemed to be a good combination.

now with my g200 its been a crazy transition. I am using WAY LESS wood and heating more square feet. Im not sure on the total poundage but on a typical day I would say I load 12-14, 20-22" long, 4-6" splits twice per day heating 4400 sqft. sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the weather

Heatmor slab burning my old 200 had pan on the fan to adjust air flow the new 2015 400 didn't come with pans on the fans. So I just put pans on the 400 for slab burning . Pretty simple . Takes the thunder out of the Dragons . And I left the rain cap on . Guys that say you can't burn dry wood is wrong .. you just slow down the draft to get longer burns .. just think they had this in 1994 they knew..

Heat550

That's all the draft I need to burn slabs this is the one goes under the grate.. I'm going get one on the back fan also.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:35:44 AM by heat550 »
Pages: 1 [2]