Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shut down and cleaned for the summer  (Read 2111 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Shut down and cleaned for the summer
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »

I shut down my boiler a couple days ago when we ran out of wood.  Today, I cleaned the ashes out of the firebox and ash tube, vacuumed the crud that fell down around my blower, oiled the hinge on the blower, cleaned out the horizontal section of chimney surrounded by the water jacket, unplugged the pump, shut off the valves, and capped the chimney. 

I also scraped creosote off of the inside of the door.  In doing so, I started scraping the gooey stuff near the bottom of the door and it started coming off in floppy chunks.  Oops, that's the door seal that Heatmor uses.  There's door seal rope behind it, but that stuff looked like black silicone caulking or something.  I went ahead and took it all off since it needs replaced.  Any ideas what that stuff is and where to get more of it?  It goes between the rope in the door (holds it in place and is about 1/4" thick over the rope) and the steel lip on the firebox that the door seals against.  Clearly, it must take some pretty good heat. 

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Shut down and cleaned for the summer
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »

I imagine it's high temp silicone. Google Nuflex 302 HT. There are probably other brands too.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

I found a kit for Heatmor doors for about $30 that includes two tubes of the silicone and a new rope.  I don't know why I'd need a new rope though.  I'll just find some black high temp silicone and use that.  Thanks!

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 04:34:28 AM »

I always replace the rope also because there is hard spots normally and depending how you reinstall you might not get a good seal .
I normally clean ashes out and put rain cap on .. I have the rain cap the fits on extension so I still get air in the fire box from outside .
but cover keeps water from getting in . I found if I put a plastic bucket on smoke stack I get even more sweating going on inside .
because my heatmor is in the shade under trees all summer . this is just my findings . I did the same with my 200 css and never had a issue as far as chimney corrosion.. that lasted 19 years .. 

Heat550 

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:35 PM »

Mine is 6 or 8 years old by now.  I don't remember.  I've never had sweating issues inside of mine, though.  The cap I use is the cut off end of a small air compressor tank.  It's not a tight seal on the chimney, but it's domed, keeps rain and birds out, and doesn't blow off.