Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Duct Heater (would this work?)  (Read 3558 times)

clydem

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
Duct Heater (would this work?)
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:25:49 AM »

I Have no room in my furnas plenum to install a heat exchanger. I need to get more heat to an upstairs addition.  If I were to add in the basement trunk line 2 runs of baseboard radiator as pictured would this work or would I be shooting myself in the foot?

The attachment is too small to read the text. The duct is 24"x8"x5' and is the last run before it goes up the wall between the house and garage.

your thoughts
Clyde

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:39:33 AM by clydem »
CB5036    inst: 11/20/11
Stihl MS280C  WOODPECKER 24T Log Splitter
JD 4600,  G27 IWB
Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

Member: MGO, USCCA, MCRGO, GOA, GSSF, NRA,

gmviso

• OWF Model: CL5036
  • Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
Re: Duct Heater (would this work?)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »

I would suggest you go to the following website and enter information about your addition to determine how many BTU you need, then determine if the two 5 foot baseboard heat radiators are sufficient and then determine how many CFM you can blow past them to extract enough BTU from them.

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/HeatLoss/HeatLoss.htm
Central Boiler CL5036

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:02:01 AM »

I would think that would really screwup the airflow.
Would it work to expand the duct enough to get a 12x24 heat exchanger in it? Or use three 8x8 heat exchangers?

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »

The baseboard fins should be parallel to flow.   The diagonal mounting would mean they are angled to flow.  Hence, as RSI says - they would likely mess up airflow.  I am not sure of the size of your addition but if two, or more, could be mounted crosswise, side by side and in series, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Muskoka, Ont

clydem

• OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:55:34 PM »

I have looked for a 12x24 heat exchanger,  where can I buy one?  that would be the way to go, I can make the duct work transition pieces to make a 12x24 work.

thanks
Clyde

I would think that would really screwup the airflow.
Would it work to expand the duct enough to get a 12x24 heat exchanger in it? Or use three 8x8 heat exchangers?
CB5036    inst: 11/20/11
Stihl MS280C  WOODPECKER 24T Log Splitter
JD 4600,  G27 IWB
Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

Member: MGO, USCCA, MCRGO, GOA, GSSF, NRA,

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »

Brazetek I think its called will custom build them for you if they dont already make that size.  More importantly find out what the static pressure drop across the coil.  Most residential duct systems are already pushing .25 in/wc.  If you install a coil that has say .35 static you mite get out of range on air flow for your ac to work properly.  You could get around that by installing a summer bypass damper to bypass part of the air around the coil.  Just my opinion anyway
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »

Brazetek I think its called will custom build them for you if they dont already make that size.  More importantly find out what the static pressure drop across the coil.  Most residential duct systems are already pushing .25 in/wc.  If you install a coil that has say .35 static you mite get out of range on air flow for your ac to work properly.  You could get around that by installing a summer bypass damper to bypass part of the air around the coil.  Just my opinion anyway
If the restriction is a problem it could be made to be removable during the summer.
I thought 12x24 is a fairly common size. You could always buy from me if you can't find it anywhere else. Lol

Ridgekid

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 06:32:11 PM »

My installer left a 1" gap on one side of the heat exchanger to the duct work. I was really worried about this. After talking to yoderheating on the phone he told be i would get plenty of heat out of the exchanger. More importantly my A coil would not freeze up from restricted flow from the HX.

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »

Yes a air gap or a summer bypass will work just the same.  My summer bypasses are simply a slide gate built into the duct that is removable for the summer. Sounds like you had a good installer ridgekid. 
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"