Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cheap basement heater  (Read 2364 times)

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Cheap basement heater
« on: December 21, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »

Wondering what you guys do to get heat in hard to reach places? This customer had a heat pump in his attic that we tied into for the upstairs heat. Downstairs was electric baseboard. We made up this 460 cfm blower with 4" ducts and it heated up the basement really nice. Really hot air!
But maybe you have better ideas?
Panel rads took up wall space and were double the price. I dislike copper baseboard, seems to get in the way.
Regular ducts were not an option, not enough room.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap basement heater
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »

If they are not complaining you did a good job. I like someone trying to save me cash will always call them again.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »

I mentioned baseboards as a solution to our heat problems upstairs, the look the wife gave me ended that quite promptly. I dislike radiators as well, loose too much wall space.

For upstairs I’m looking at either getting the wall adapter kits and installing kick space heaters i the walls for each bedroom or getting really ambitious and tearing up the floorboards and adding ultra fin to each bedroom and the main hall and putting each on its own zone.

Not sure how it works exactly, but did radiant in the ceilings ever come up? Another cool thing would be if you could get hydronic ceiling fans instead of electric ones for heat.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 04:58:47 AM »

In our area there is a fair amount of electric ceiling heat in 1950's built houses. Main complaint I've heard is head is hot, feet are cold. New concept I just became aware of is radiant heat in walls. Not good for add on, but new construction may have some merit.You don't find carpet or other insulating materials on walls. May need to think twice before hanging a picture.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »

In our area there is a fair amount of electric ceiling heat in 1950's built houses. Main complaint I've heard is head is hot, feet are cold. New concept I just became aware of is radiant heat in walls. Not good for add on, but new construction may have some merit.You don't find carpet or other insulating materials on walls. May need to think twice before hanging a picture.

Far as radiant heat in a ceiling, addition of ceiling fans would go a long ways to evening the temperature out. Just seems backwards to me anyways, heat rises, so why have it in the ceiling when its going to end up there anyways.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 09:07:49 AM »

I put a 50,000 modine in my basement after my hx on the return to my owb. works great. Cheap on e-bay. I have a line volt t-stat to control the fan usually leave it around 60 , 20 feet away in the stair case. Rest of the house is cast iron radiators. They do take up some space, but when they get warm they stay warm forever. Nice for drying your gloves and the covered ones wife loves to decorate. We put reflectix insulation between the radiators and the walls to reflect the heat in , it worked really well.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »

I put a 50,000 modine in my basement after my hx on the return to my owb. works great. Cheap on e-bay. I have a line volt t-stat to control the fan usually leave it around 60 , 20 feet away in the stair case. Rest of the house is cast iron radiators. They do take up some space, but when they get warm they stay warm forever. Nice for drying your gloves and the covered ones wife loves to decorate. We put reflectix insulation between the radiators and the walls to reflect the heat in , it worked really well.

:post:

Another thing I’ve found great for drying boots and gloves, I added additional risers in my copper for future expansion, slips you’re boots or gloves over the risers and dry in no time. When I remodel the bathroom it’s getting  a corner whirlpool tub, radiant under the ceramic floor and am thinking of making a towel warmer out of 1/2 copper. I’ll probably shellac it or something, the natural patina that everybody raves about with copper never turned me on, I like it nice and shiny.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:28:19 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »

You and the misses will love the towel warmers, I could even show you how to warm the seat if you like!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.