Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:40:43 AM 
Started by MD20/20 - Last post by MD20/20
Does anyone know who owns this site?

on: Today at 08:12:13 AM 
Started by Dillon1630 - Last post by Dillon1630
Just spoke with my dealer again about the damper plate issue and he said that after speaking with his rep, they advised that I extend the length of my flue pipe and put a cap on it.  He said that should fix the problem and if it did not they would move forward with sending a new air box.  He said they think it's getting too much down draft. Thoughts??

on: Today at 08:04:03 AM 
Started by atvalaska - Last post by mlappin
Get a drywall bag filter and install it in the shop vac. And like what has been pointed out, only use when the stove is cold.

on: Today at 07:14:56 AM 
Started by slimchance - Last post by slimchance
Speeding the pump up on your floor is going to do nothing besides raise your electric bill

Thanks wreckit87!   That being said, do you like medium or low in my application?  On the medium setting all circuits are moving about .6 GPM.  I really don't know what the GPM's are on the low setting, I can switch it and see. 

on: Today at 06:03:26 AM 
Started by MD20/20 - Last post by smithbr
Well, what you want is a temperature switch that opens at around 165, I guess.  (depends on your particular furnace parameters).  Place that so it senses the water temperature leaving the furnace (not your return water).  You may need a lower temperature, it will depend on how accurately you can sense the true water temperature.  If I had to do this, I might look for an adjustable switch, like the one on a hot water tank).  Wire it in series with the power to the blower.  Make sure you put in an override switch to keep it going when you want to restart the fire.

Of course, you really shouldn't run the water below 150-160, they say, due to increased condensation.  I'm guessing that if you're not burning anything, there isn't much water vapour around, but I could be wrong.

If I did this, going by my water temperature swings, the blower will run for more than half of that one hour period before it shuts off at 165.
Even though my furnace starts demand at 175, if all my heat loads are sucking at the same time, water temperature gets close to 170 before the fire takes over, so I couldn't cut out the fan much higher than 165.  So there's not a lot of savings to be had.  But your situation may be different.

There may be good reasons for not doing this, I'll think about it. 

on: December 12, 2018, 07:50:48 PM 
Started by atvalaska - Last post by RSI
Another thing to mention, if you do the leaf vac thing, leave the drain tile outside for a few days is not a bad idea, If there is a live coal lodged in it you don't want to burn down a building.
I would probably do the same if you used a shop vac, especially if it is made of plastic.

on: December 12, 2018, 07:42:53 PM 
Started by T28c34 - Last post by MattyNH
Glad you found the leak!.. I know what you went through! I had 3 pin hole leaks last season..It was awful..Ashes where soaked..I couldn't augur them out..My boiler plugged up..I got it fixed before I shut is down for the season..So far so good on my end!

on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:57 PM 
Started by T28c34 - Last post by RSI
A propane or MAP gas torch works pretty good. Just run the flame across it until it bubbles up and flakes off. If it is really thick, it may just get a layer each time.
After it flakes off, the residue under it really soft and can be scraped off much easier.

on: December 12, 2018, 07:32:31 PM 
Started by atvalaska - Last post by RSI
I bought an ash vac and it clogs really fast. I think they are meant to be used indoors where they need a real fine filter. I am guessing a regular shopvac would work better.

In the past I have used a 50' roll of 3" drain tile and a handheld leaf blower/vac attached to the other end. It is a little bulky to use and store but you can really suck a lot of ashes fast. Just put downwind.  ;D

Also want to make sure the fire is out completely. Any coals that aren't completely dead will light up from the air. If it is really dry out I would then it probably would not be a good idea either.

on: December 12, 2018, 07:17:39 PM 
Started by atvalaska - Last post by Scratch
I've been using a shovel all these years.  You need it "that" clean...?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10