Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Homemade "Tank-in-Tank" OWB-Ozarks Hillbilly Edition  (Read 51847 times)

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade "Tank-in-Tank" OWB-Ozarks Hillbilly Edition
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2014, 09:03:29 AM »

The place that sold me the RO system called water in its pure form, the ultimate solvent since it will eventually dissolve many things, metals, rocks, etc. :o
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2014, 07:45:16 AM »

Been filling the tank for about a day and a half now, by my calcs the RO system is producing about 45 gal per day.  I think my water jacket capacity is about 180 gals, gonna run the last 20 or 30 gallons in straight from the hose (through the sediment filter only).  My theory is that will give me a tankful of filtered water with very low lime and some (desirable?) trace element content.   ;)  Of course I will have boiler treatment in it also.

Should be full by Sunday if I don't have to shut it down Saturday night (mid-20 degree lows are forecast).  Monday and Tuesday are to top out around 70 so I will just fire up the pump one of those days, bleed the system and check for leaks.

As soon as the temps are going to be down to 40s or 50s for highs for a couple days next week I will light the fuse.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:48:09 AM by WoodMOJoe »
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2014, 04:52:12 PM »

RO water or h2O is completely nuetral , it will not attack or erode anything. The benefit of using pure water is to eliminate ionized minerals that will attack anything metal. In closed systems after a cycle and up to temp the water becomes dead as we call it. Anytime fresh air is reintroduced into the system , a bunch of new oxidizers are now present to start oxidizing AKA rusting eroding of metals. This is why those brass micro bubble air separators do so good at eliminating this and extending equipment life.  With open systems there is always some level of corrosion going on, and boiler water treatments are designed to neutralize as much as possible. They take away the excess positive and negative charged molecules , making them neutral
Michigan Thumber

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »

Well, after 6 days and 20 hours +/- I finally filled my water jacket to the top of the fill neck.  I only run about 55 psi on my house water system so that kinda slowed things down, this RO filtering system is good up to 85 psi (rated at 100 gpd at 85 psi).  About 180 gals of filtered RO water plus a half gallon of boiler treatment in the system now.

No fire yet but I opened my valves, filled the lines and started the pump.  It was squealing a little so I cracked open one of the pump flanges a fuzz and bled the air out.  That quieted it down, can't even hardly hear it running now on high speed (Grundfos 15-58).  Circulated water for about 30 minutes with no apparent leaks.   :thumbup:  Running more RO water in right now to top off the tank again.

Building a 90 degree turndown that will slip over the horizontal flue pipe that extends onto the fire box.  That should help retain the heat a little better and not allow the fan to blow as much heat right out the flue (I hope).

Will probably light 'er up this weekend, March 17 will be a year to the day that we cut the propane tanks and started the ball rolling on this caper.

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »

Have been heating the house and DHW for right at a week now and all systems are go.  Hasn't really been super cold but I have no doubt this rig will keep up with anything Mother Nature throws our way.  A couple of minor hiccups but I am learning to run the system better as I go.

Thank you to all the great folks on this site that have contributed to helping me build and install my setup...couldn't have done it without you!    :thumbup:

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »

:post:

skorpyd

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Code name "Woody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »

Congrats,

My fire has not went out since mid Jan, when I first fired it up.   You are going to love it.   I have a couple things to do in the off season after learning some things about how to use it.   

I'm also planning to build a wood shed around it to hide it and make it look more like just a shed.

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »

Congrats,

My fire has not went out since mid Jan, when I first fired it up.   You are going to love it.   I have a couple things to do in the off season after learning some things about how to use it.   

I'm also planning to build a wood shed around it to hide it and make it look more like just a shed.

Hey thanks, going on 2 weeks here, no major issues yet.

How did your "OWB making too much charcoal" deal turn out?  Is it cured?  I am noticing some of the same tendencies with mine.

skorpyd

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »

Joe,

I still think it might help to have a stronger cfm fan on mine, but It seemed to be partly a learning curve issue as well.

I do most of my burning in the firebox closer to the front where the fan is.  I also put that air diverter on the existing ducts that were built into my door so I was directing air more down from the door opening.   So doing that and also using an old hoe to rake the larger coals up to the front when I load it has produced much better burns.

This off season I may try to put a larger fan on mine though.

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »

Some good ideas there, thanks.

I have the exact same model fan as yours but mine has a gravity-operated flapper in the tube that goes into the firebox...rather than the solenoid-controlled setup you have,

Did you ever find a higher cfm fan to replace yours with that wouldn't require much modification where it attaches to the door?

skorpyd

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »

I was doing some research when first having the problems burning and had a Dayton 130cfm unit that was about the same size but now I can't find my notes.

I think it was model 1TVD2, from a seller on ebay.   But now I have to go back and compare specs.   I guess I should figure it out and order one.

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2014, 07:54:52 AM »

Installed a temp gauge off of a bbq grille to my door.  Lets me know what is happening inside before I open the door.

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2014, 07:57:18 AM »

Added a little lean-to wood shed to the side, can park a truck bed under it if desired.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2015, 05:46:59 AM »

very nice, starting tghe same project here as well. 250 gallon inside a 500 gallon!

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2017, 05:47:09 AM »

Fired off the beast for the season yesterday, this will be the 4th winter providing heat with this setup.

Didn't really keep track of the labor required to build everything but I was south of $2K cash outlay, so it was probably paid for after year 2.

Cleared a 1/4 mile of fence row a couple of weeks ago and rebuilt our steep and rut-prone driveway, that gave me about 5 years of oak and hickory that is now cut up and laying in the pasture curing out.

Thanks again to all who helped me out on this caper, couldn't have done it without you.   :thumbup:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6