Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Recommendation for a trimming saw  (Read 4303 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
Recommendation for a trimming saw
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:26:42 PM »

Want to pick up an additional trimming saw. Looking at an Echo CS310 or a Stihl MS170. Anyone have experience or history with these two saws?
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation for a trimming saw
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:10:35 PM »

Check out the stihl 200t. It's a limming saw with a rear Handel. The best saw I ever had. It handles any thing I through at it and its very light!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:04:28 PM »

We have the 200T's at work but I don't like the top handle models for the cutting I do. A little pricy for a small limbing saw for me.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »

I have the rear handle one maybe its not the t but its the 200! I like it cause its real light, and I have a 14in bar. and it rips.    I have the 291 I bought last year for the bigger stuff! like that one to 

Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »

So which saw did you get and how do you like it?  Had two 170's, might switch to Echo .....
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »

Had a Stihl dealer tell me not to get the 170, if I was going to get the Stihl he said to get the 171 for several reasons. I can't remember them now but the 170 was the only one on sale. I decided to get the Echo CS310 and I like it. Echo also comes with a 5 year warranty
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

Homerglide

• OWF Brand: Orlan EKO
  • OWF Model: Out in the shop - Model 25 gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »

Yeah, this is a new reply to an old thread. Just an FYI for whoever might be viewing this thread.

Fact about the Stihl MS170 is; the spark arrestor screen in the muffler must be removed to get great performance from the little gem. That dam thing clogs with carbon in a matter a just a few uses. It will eventually clog 100% forcing the exhaust out from between the muffler and exhaust port. Once the screen is removed, it will run like brand spanking new. I almost lost my temper and threw one into the swamp. Glad I didn't cause I was going to do a carb swap and muffler mod but found after pulling the muffler what the problem is. Just tossed the screen and have had many successful limbing chores completed since.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:25:20 PM by Homerglide »
Coupla Chainsaws
Axe
Strong OLD Back
2000 Dodge Cummins

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »

Yeah, this is a new reply to an old thread. Just an FYI for whoever might be viewing this thread.

Fact about the Stihl MS170 is; the spark arrestor screen in the muffler must be removed to get great performance from the little gem. That dam thing clogs with carbon in a matter a just a few uses. It will eventually clog 100% forcing the exhaust out from between the muffler and exhaust port. Once the screen is removed, it will run like brand spanking new. I almost lost my temper and threw one into the swamp. Glad I didn't cause I was going to do a carb swap and muffler mod but found after pulling the muffler what the problem is. Just tossed the screen and have had many successful limbing chores completed since.

My stihl leaf blower has that silly little screen, I’m not sure if its just an spark arrestor or what but I about cut it out when it first plugged, I just burned it out with an LP torch instead as we also use the leaf blower to blow combines off before moving to a new field, sparks and a machine covered in bean fuzz and dust or corn fodder don’t go well together.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Bluegrass Wood Burner

• OWF Brand: Ozzark Biomass
  • OWF Model: Gasconade 500 gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:13:28 PM »

I just bought a Husqvarna 142 for the limbs and smaller cuts. I was very surprised how well it cut and how much better my body felt at the end of the day. 100 bucks used and well worth it. My big saw weighs 14 lbs and this one weighs in at 9.5. Huge difference for an old man😀
South central Kentucky
Ford F-150
16 ft tandem trailer
3000# winch
Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna 460 rancher
6ft spud bar
Poulan 3314
22 ton lowes splitter
Timberline sharpener
"Worn out body"

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »

After going thru two 170's (hard starting, won't idle) I bought a used 310 from the dealer (his wife cuts all their outdoor furnace wood with one).
Cant really say how I like it because I can never get it away from my helpers.......
My 026 and 025 Stihl are both sitting there getting rusty...LOL
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...