Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: E1450 clogged heat exchanger tubes - creosote  (Read 10881 times)

smithbr

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
E1450 clogged heat exchanger tubes - creosote
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »

Hi
 :bash: reaction chamber temps have been dropping for the last couple of weeks.  Figured it out today.  We're limping through tonight, fortunately it's +2 C out there now.
5 of 7 tubes are blocked. DOH.  Now, how to get them cleaned out.  Ideas, anyone?  I was thinking a chunk of 1/4" copper tubing might make a flexible enough but stiff enough poker to allow me to chip away at the accumulated creosote.  Once I can get it somewhat clear, it'll get easier.  Right now, they're solid.  To be fair, I realized I haven't touched them since fall startup, despite weekly cleanouts.  Once I get them cleared, that won't happen again!

Just sign me,
Blockhead.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: E1450 clogged heat exchanger tubes - creosote
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »

As a separate note what caused the issue? Some other guys have dealt with this so other should have some good suggestions. How accessible is the heat exchangers? Do you have a straight shot through the hxs or do you have to deal with corners? I think some people have used diesel to free up creosote which might help you to get the tubes that are totally plugged freed up. 

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »

You might try something that I have used, a piece of steel snake for pulling wire in your cordless drill, use extreme caution, low speed, when it gets whipping around it can hurt but in the hole it does a great job of breaking up hard creosote and its flexible as well, a piece of metal conduit or copper can be slid over the snake to use as a hand held guide for longer ones.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »

As a separate note what caused the issue? Some other guys have dealt with this so other should have some good suggestions. How accessible is the heat exchangers? Do you have a straight shot through the hxs or do you have to deal with corners? I think some people have used diesel to free up creosote which might help you to get the tubes that are totally plugged freed up.
L
Wonder what suggestions Central Boiler would have if you called them? Surely they have run into this before.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »

You might try something that I have used, a piece of steel snake for pulling wire in your cordless drill, use extreme caution, low speed, when it gets whipping around it can hurt but in the hole it does a great job of breaking up hard creosote and its flexible as well, a piece of metal conduit or copper can be slid over the snake to use as a hand held guide for longer ones.

Good idea!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »

L
Wonder what suggestions Central Boiler would have if you called them? Surely they have run into this before.

Haha, of course they haven’t, that would imply a flaw in the design. We always get stuff on the farm that when it goes fubar the dealer or OEM claims it's a first.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »

I'm sorta serious though. It may not be a flaw but sometimes even a good design can screw up under certain conditions. I've never looked in detail at an e-classic.
But they should offer some help regardless.

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »

Obvious cause, careless owner maintenance.  Secondary cause, switch to low-BTU pine and spruce, because of more than a month of well above seasonal temperatures. Result, a lot of running with demand cycles every 3-4 hours, interspersed with lots of 50-second boost cycles that put low-temperature smoke up the chimney.  Upshot, self-inflicted problem.  I'm not going to go to a flammable fuel to clean the chimney at this time if I can avoid it.  On the E1450, the tubes are vertical, with reasonable access above and below - but not a straight shot or I'd use a ramrod.  I've checked other common problems on the list, our supply air paths are all good, so it's just the smoke path from the reaction chamber that's giving me grief.  From what I've seen so far this afternoon, they're pretty badly plugged, so I may put a flexi-shaft drill into play to try and get a power brush of some form into the tube.  I'm hoping that the blockage is a short one - after there's no gas flow in the tube, why should it continue to plug up?

smithbr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »

Well, problem solved.  All 7 tubes cleaned in an hour and a half.  Developed a special tool to allow me to get a rigid 1/2" x 1/8" bar into the tubes, and cleaned from the bottom up to loosen and remove the crap.  Had I started from the top down, I'd likely have just packed the blockage harder.
Note to self: Check the tubes weekly now, until I'm satisfied we're keeping them clear.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »

Thanks for reporting back. Good to know how these issues get resolved.

Carm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:03:44 PM »

There is a tool that comes with the unit to clean tubes.  Works well and I can get by wi the once maybe twice a season cleaning them. 
Freeland, MD

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 03:58:14 AM »

Well, problem solved.  All 7 tubes cleaned in an hour and a half.  Developed a special tool to allow me to get a rigid 1/2" x 1/8" bar into the tubes, and cleaned from the bottom up to loosen and remove the crap.  Had I started from the top down, I'd likely have just packed the blockage harder.
Note to self: Check the tubes weekly now, until I'm satisfied we're keeping them clear.

I have the 1400 so the design is quite different.  Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to reach the tubes?  Do you have to turn yourself into a pretzel to reach them or is it straightforward?  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »

I'm sorta serious though. It may not be a flaw but sometimes even a good design can screw up under certain conditions. I've never looked in detail at an e-classic.
But they should offer some help regardless.

My father in law "had" a cb as does 2 of my employees.  Let's just say their customer service is non existent 99% of the time.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 02:47:04 PM »

What I mean is- Even if you have a less than perfect design if you help your customers they usually are pretty loyal.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »

I couldn't agree more Mr. Yoder.  I'd own a CB if this was the case.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection
Pages: [1] 2 3