Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Good test  (Read 2459 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Good test
« on: November 11, 2017, 04:41:18 AM »

At the beginning of every heating season I'm always a little anxious to see how my E-Classic 1400 will perform when the first cold snap comes through.  The temps overnight was in the low teens and falling with north winds gusting to 20Mph plus.  I live on a north facing mountain with nothing to protect the house from the north winds.  The firebox was about 1/2 full when I serviced her at 6:00pm last night and when I checked on her this morning at 6:00am it could have gone another hour before needing wood.  Regardless of what you have for an OWB, it is wonderful to get out bed in the morning to a warm house and not hearing the oil/gas burner running.  I pray and hope she continues this way through the entire cold season.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
Re: Good test
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:47:33 AM »

It is good indeed. I had a load of 75% white pine and 25% oak last night and 12 hours later I had a nice fire with coals on top of the reaction chamber in my E 1450. I put the oak in the middle to keep coals and pine all over that. My aquastat on my boiler has a low kick on at 160* min so I unplug one lead to keep the gas from going on and the circulating pumps kicking on with the thermostats. My gas boiler has hot water priority. I never do hear the gas boiler vent kick in.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

fireboss

• OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 04:47:54 PM »

It’s a good day when we had a hi temperature of 20  and I stood in the kitchen with the door open and barbecue chicken for dinner !
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 04:29:30 AM »

Yesterday evening my younger bro and I went to a local pizza joint to get supper.  We bumped into a friend of the family's there.  She said she spent the entire day inside because it too cold outside.  She looked at us like we had 2 heads on our shoulders when I mentioned we spent the entire day clearing brush along the tree line, it was perfect weather for it.  When it was to quit for the day, we went inside to clean up and change clothes to get our supper and the 70 degrees inside the house felt like it was 90 in there.  Initially we a bit chilly with the temps hovering around single digits with that north wind but as we kept moving and getting behind the tree line, it was a great day to be outside.  Plus, I had a good workout earlier when another bro called and asked if I could help him drag his deer out of the woods.  Of course I said yes, venison is some good stuff.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »

Ah yes the 2 headed look!
When my wife told her kid brother who lives down south now that  we had an outdoor boiler he thinks it's nuts. Couldn't see why would we go outside to feed a fire for the house.
I need to run the water tests today and see where that is at.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »

Some people just don't get It. Reminds me of the time I had to testify in a hearing about a child neglect case. Blonde social worker said there was no heat in the house. 'All they had was a stove outside and there was no way that was going to keep the kids warm.' So I had to give them a lesson in in hydronic heating. Her supervisor followed me out the room and asked 'How much do one of these things cost? This would just be great for a low income family to burn wood'. She got it! But that social worker still doesn't have a clue.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

smithbr

• OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »

"When my wife told her kid brother who lives down south now that we had an outdoor boiler he thinks it's nuts. Couldn't see why would we go outside to feed a fire for the house. "
Duramax,
Having had an indoor wood heating appliance (airtight wood fireplace) for 23 years, I could educate him.  Here's a partial list:
- no smoke in the house
- no dirt, bark, wood chips, etc. to mop up every day
- no carrying wood into the house daily, or (if you store the wood in the basement for the winter) no flies, spiders(I HATE SPIDERS), ants, and other creepy crawlies in the house
- no ashes to haul out of the house

If he doesn't get it after that, he must be a social worker... :bash: