Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: temp reading from fire box  (Read 3643 times)

the trailmaster

• OWF Brand: CENTRAL BOILER
  • OWF Model: 2400
    • View Profile
temp reading from fire box
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »

Hi all    Have e-2400 and I'm getting high reading on my fire chamber.  1800 to 2500 is there a second sensor someplace I'm missing or do the sensors go bad  I did find a bunch of creosote burning in one corner (front), but not sure that is the problem.  You really don't want to open the door at 1800 degrees  Water temp. is just fine between 185 and 195 ,which I run at.  Cleaned out all the ash, not sure what the problem.  Looking for a second sensor??????  Any ideas  Trailmaster  Thanks
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
Re: temp reading from fire box
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »

I get higher reaction chamber temps when the reaction chamber fills with ashes in my Classic Edge,  but its usually just 100-200 degrees higher than normal.  Never seen anything over 1500 though.

Could hot coals be falling through the nozzle and building up next to the thermocouple?
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:11:54 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts .  I cleaned all of the ash out and left the door open for a while and the temp still stayed high.  If the thermal coupling is gone, can it be reset on the computer (firestar) or how do you replace it???
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:19:28 AM »

Trailmaster - On my E-Classic 1400 the thermocouple is located approximately 2 or 3 inches from the reaction chamber door.  Before you buy another one make sure it hasn't been pushed back into the box where the solenoids are located, that it is visible on inspection.  If it has been pushed back push it in so that the tip is sticking into the reaction chamber approximately 2 to 2 1/2".  If it needs to be changed, go to the box where the solenoids are housed, unplug it from the harness, pull the old one toward you, not into the reaction chamber.  The installation is reverse of removal.  Your owners manual should have the steps listed.  I've never seen reaction chamber temps above 1600 on my 1400.  If yours is showing something like 2500, my guess is a new one is needed, the old has failed.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:27:02 AM »

Thanks Roger  I will check all of the following, and thanks again for your wisdom.  Will report back!!!!!
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »

Well all I have resolved my problem with high temps in the chamber.  The problem, I do not know what I did.   Went out this morning with Roger's suggestions and it was perfectly normal.  What the heck, so I do not know what to think.  It may be a sign, not sure, but to all,  THANK YOU, as usual, for the caring advice.  Trailmaster
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »

Maybe a momentary hiccup in the firestar controller?  Did you check anyway to see if the thermocouple is where it belongs and not pushed back?  Also, when I clear the reaction chamber of ash build up I always take my gloved hand and clean the thermocouple of any ash that may have gathered on it.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »

Yes Roger  from that point I did that first time I noticed the problem and cleaned the probe with a rag.  The probe was fine and clean..  Thanks again not sure what happened got go out and fill her for the night.  Ice ever place you walk .
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 03:13:08 AM »

Thankfully I forgot to empty the metal garbage can that's full of ash yet, I needed most of it to spread on the yard.  It's been a few years since I last saw so much ice covering everything.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »

Thankfully I forgot to empty the metal garbage can that's full of ash yet, I needed most of it to spread on the yard.  It's been a few years since I last saw so much ice covering everything.  Roger

WE are having a bad ice year as well. An underground spring has popped up putting  water all over the driveway  just in front of the boiler, ice city. Cleats on spare boots work well.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor