Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pex connection  (Read 2019 times)

wormmister

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: WDGS-70
    • View Profile
Pex connection
« on: March 24, 2018, 05:17:46 AM »

Quick question
What's better-copper crimp or ss cinch for pex connections?

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Pex connection
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:36:46 AM »

I use the copper rings, mostly because I started with them years ago and think they look nicer without the nub sticking out.  Its just a mind game tho.  And copper rings are generally cheaper which matters if you use volume.
As far as holding I think they're both good. One dealer I know had a brand of cinch rings that would break but that's rareand I think his tool.might not have been right.  I would not be afraid of either, both are very reliable.
With copper rings you'd need multiple tools or or heads for a tool to fo different sizes. SS cinch rings use one tool for all sizes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:03:56 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »

I also use the copper rings. I don't trust the cinch clamps, they seem cheesy to me, but this is a silly fear because they're everywhere and very few fail. I think cinch would be easier in tight places as the crimp can suck sometimes to get the jaws in, but that may not be the case as I've never used a cinch myself

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »

I also use the copper rings. I don't trust the cinch clamps, they seem cheesy to me, but this is a silly fear because they're everywhere and very few fail. I think cinch would be easier in tight places as the crimp can suck sometimes to get the jaws in, but that may not be the case as I've never used a cinch myself

Prefer the copper rings as well. I have a tool for tight spots, actually just a block that splits in half. place it over the ring and tighten the bolts down. handles 1/2, 3/4 and 1”.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 05:39:38 PM »

If you get the knockoff cinch clamps off ebay or use a tool that is way out of calibration they can fail. Otherwise they are just as good as the copper rings. (if you get cinch clamps that have a spot weld on them, I would throw them away)

I have seen badly crimped copper rings that were leaking.

The ratchet style ssc tool gets into pretty tight spaces and is way faster and easier to use than those blocks for the copper type rings.

I do think the copper rings look a little better but that is the only thing better about them. The stainless clamps won't corrode, are stronger and easier to remove. There is no difference between them as far as how the joint will seal and hold up.

If I was going to switch to something different, I would go to the stainless sleeves before the copper rings. They look much better and it will seal the pex to the entire barb instead just the 1/4" where the ring is.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 11:41:19 PM »

I have one of those block things too. It sucks, but is a life saver once in awhile. We'll see how this year goes, but if I stay busy enough I'm gonna buy me one of those M18 cordless Milwaukee crimpers. I have a Nibco and a Ridgid press tool, but to buy the jaws for it to press pex rings costs more than just buying another tool with jaws