Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Skidsteer log splitters  (Read 5312 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Skidsteer log splitters
« on: March 26, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »

I am going to buy or build a skidsteer mount low splitter. I am not sure yet is straight out or sideways is better. I would be using on it on a Toolcat so thinking the sideways might work better.
I just came across this one that looks interesting. https://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/d/skid-steer-wood-log-splitter/6474101449.html
If I can find some square tubing the right size, it looks like it would be fairly simple to build. How well will that work compared to the cylinder pushing directly in the end of the log like a normal splitter?

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: Skidsteer log splitters
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »

I rented one once during my first or second season.  It was a straight one.  The thing was a little tweaked in the first place. I pointed it out to the rental guys but they said don't worry about it. This is what it looked like when I started the day:

Here's what it looked like a few hours later, obviously it was something to worry about...

I can't really fault the splitter though, look at the size of wood I was splitting.  (Notice the full size metal desk in the background)

Hudson, WI

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »

I am going to buy or build a skidsteer mount low splitter. I am not sure yet is straight out or sideways is better. I would be using on it on a Toolcat so thinking the sideways might work better.
I just came across this one that looks interesting. https://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/d/skid-steer-wood-log-splitter/6474101449.html
If I can find some square tubing the right size, it looks like it would be fairly simple to build. How well will that work compared to the cylinder pushing directly in the end of the log like a normal splitter?

Since the ram is setup to push in that style just like it's setup to push in a traditional style splitter, the force would be the same.  Neat design.  I wonder what flow rate would be required to split like this and if my tractor's 3rd function hydraulic can run one.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 10:47:22 AM »

That is weird that it twisted like that. Were you just using the bottom half of the wedge?

I hadn't seen one like that before on it's side mounted straight out. How well did that work?

The crossways mounted ones seem to be like that more often because you can tilt it upside down if you want.

I have a lot of large stuff like that. It is way too hard to get it on the Speeco splitter I have now.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »

Since the ram is setup to push in that style just like it's setup to push in a traditional style splitter, the force would be the same.  Neat design.  I wonder what flow rate would be required to split like this and if my tractor's 3rd function hydraulic can run one.
I know the force would be the same but was thinking there could be leverage and binding issues.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 02:36:10 PM »

Not sure how much umph your toolcat has compared to a regular skid steer but I like mine out front and inverted. I used two heavy channel irons instead of a I or H beam. Haven’t found anything yet it won’t split, next time I’ll use a 4” instead of a 5” cylinder. Next I’mm gonna add a four way wage, but I’m using a long enough piece of wedge it’s going to slide up and down, slide it all the way up for a single way splitter for the ugly stuff.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8Yc59Y

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 03:16:09 PM »

Toolcat is 27 GPM and 3000PSI
I am thinking the sideways type would be better because it isn't as easy to shaft slightly to the side.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 05:05:15 PM »

Toolcat is 27 GPM and 3000PSI
I am thinking the sideways type would be better because it isn't as easy to shaft slightly to the side.

Those aren’t articulated are they? 4 wheel steer like some of the old Case 4 wheel drive tractors.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »

4 wheel steering, not articulated.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 06:15:34 PM »

go check out TM SKIDSPLITTERS...they built to last. a bit more pricey than the competition but well worth it.

Michael

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnaces
  • OWF Model: 400 HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 07:18:10 PM »

multitek super ax is what I have. Work great but I don't use the four way much

hatfield

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »

Heatmor CSS200

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »

I also have the TM splitter, had it for over a year now and I love it. Splits anything I give it and I just run it above idol
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 10:42:38 PM »

So, no one has tried one that is sideways?
What about wedge position? Is it better with a fixed wedge or moving wedge? It looks like the moving wedge is quicker for re-splitting since the wood stays pretty much in place. I am guessing the fixed wedge has other advantages?

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »

We have a TM splitter for the big skid steer.  We bought the big one they make.  It's completely overkill for what we are doing but we'll never break it.  Could have went with a smaller cylinder and had faster cycle time.

The splitter that does 80% of the work now is the sideways mounted one on the SK350 Ditch Witch mini skid steer that you stand on the back of.    IT is mounted sideways instead of straight out unlike the TM on the big skid.  Therefore you can articulate it throughout the hydraulic range just like a bucket.  And you have great visibility of wedge. Plus, you can just step off the machine if you need to adjust something or grab a saw or whatever. 

The negative to a sideways splitter on a full size skid is that your wheels/tracks are so close to your work that each piece of wood that you want to split has to be out in the open where you can drive up to it.

I have to run my normal log splitter once in a while now just to make sure the gas doesn't spoil in it.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.