Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BL34-44 finally up and running  (Read 7011 times)

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
Re: BL34-44 finally up and running
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »

update.  After speaking with the local guberment officials and my insurance company I believe we have come up with a solution.  I can section off a portion of my garage and line it with firestop drywall, use UL approved pipe going out the roof so everything is good.  This gets me in compliance with all of the regulations.  So, here is what I see is the issue in doing this, smoke billowing into the "room" when feeding the fire.  1 possible solution would be to add storage and treat this as a batch burner so theoretically after some practice you could load the stove with only enough wood that completely burned out, heating the storage water.  I have 2-500 gal L.P. tanks that I was saving for another project that could easily be repurposed for this.  This probably is an easy fix with some small control issues, like shutting off the blower fan after the complete burn.  I think it would be over 1,200 gal of storage water(including the appliance) that I could use during the day and then do batch burns at  night when I got home.
Looking for thoughts.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »

That's good news you can finally go forward!
How many hours can the unit run at full btu output? I looked it up and see a max rating of 370,000 / hr. I would guess it could run at least 4 hrs, probably more. At 4+ hrs that would be approx 1.5 million btu's, which would require a 150 F temp rise in 1200 gallons to absorb the heat produced.
I'm curious what other guys think as I haven't done much with storage, but the math makes the tank look small. ?
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 07:27:51 AM »

Great to hear! I'm glad they came to their senses. The BL do tend to burn quite clean so nobody should know you have a burner in there lol. As far as storage goes, I had noticed last week one day my Heatmaster (very similar in size and design to yours) sat all night with the switch off. I shut it off to load and forgot about it. Water was down to like 70 degrees in the morning but still with a full firebox so I hit the fan and I'll be dipped, it fired back up and did what it had to do, satisfying the shop and house temps in the process. That load of wood lasted me until bedtime easily, even though I had loaded for ~12 hours the night before. So basically the 12 hour load lasted me 24 hours because it was screaming the whole time instead of idling all day like it usually does. I looked into the storage and asked a few questions on Facebook about it, came to the conclusion that to batch burn the most efficiently I'd need somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 gallons of storage to make a 24 hour go of it in the nasty cold. Basically it'd scream wide open for 6-8 hours to charge the whole system and then nap for the next 16-18 until the next fire. I don't really have the physical space for 2000 gallons of extra storage so I will probably forget about it, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea if you have the space for it. Mlappin has ~400 gallons of storage in his oil burner and had some favorable reviews about it, perhaps he will chime in.

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 07:39:32 AM »

I think I will reverse engineer this.  Try to just put enough wood by weight to raise the water temp to where I want.  What I am imagining  is letting the tank temp drop into the 140 range and then lighting a fire to run it up to the 190 range.  I have been doing some reading on other guys that are weighing there wood and doing batch burns with storage(although these stoves are different).  It seems that I should easily be able to get 12-14 hrs of heat out of the 1200 gal of stored water.  I may have to do 2 batch burns, say 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening with smaller loads so I don't overshoot the high temp limit.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »

I think I will reverse engineer this.  Try to just put enough wood by weight to raise the water temp to where I want.  What I am imagining  is letting the tank temp drop into the 140 range and then lighting a fire to run it up to the 190 range.  I have been doing some reading on other guys that are weighing there wood and doing batch burns with storage(although these stoves are different).  It seems that I should easily be able to get 12-14 hrs of heat out of the 1200 gal of stored water.  I may have to do 2 batch burns, say 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening with smaller loads so I don't overshoot the high temp limit.
Makes sense, the house heat load is more what matters.
Sounds like if you load about a third to half full then your batch burning should work fine.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:53:22 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Pages: 1 [2]