Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shutdown for the summer season  (Read 4484 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Shutdown for the summer season
« on: April 29, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »

Well, I shutdown the E-Classic 1400 for the season yesterday.  With temps finally climbing into the 50's, 60's and some 70's it was time to give myself a break from tending the fire twice a day.  When I shut her down she was running just as strong as when I purchased her.  It never gave me any problems that weren't self imposed.  There are a couple of other reasons for it too.  The only problem I have is the air channel needs attention so I moved the OWB to my shop so I can tackle it over the summer.  I have an idea what I want to do and I'll see how it goes.  Another reason I needed to move it is my nephew will be buying it from me later this year, that'll give me time to give the air channel some attention.  The main reason is that I have purchased a new CB unit, it's the Classic Edge 550 HD.   It's being delivered in late May (my choice of delivery date).  With all of the advances in design and the ease of cleaning I think I have made the right choice for me.  Plus, I'll be able to monitor what it's doing anywhere there is a WIFI connection.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
Re: Shutdown for the summer season
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:14:01 PM »

Sweet!  Got to get my M250 set for a new pad, thermopex, and garage heat this summer.   Shutdown eta 3 days!   :thumbup:
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 07:32:47 PM »

I finally shut ours down today too. Wife and daughter are going to miss the hot water, but im looking forward to not tending to a stove for a while.
Good luck with the new stove. Looks like they've made a few tweaks to the design since I got mine. Your going to love the Firestar WiFi monitoring.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:18:02 AM »

I finally shut ours down today too. Wife and daughter are going to miss the hot water, but im looking forward to not tending to a stove for a while.
Good luck with the new stove. Looks like they've made a few tweaks to the design since I got mine. Your going to love the Firestar WiFi monitoring.

Thanks for the good wishes.  I thought about it for a long time, I never buy anything on impulse.  Compared to the E-Classic 1400, there's no comparison whatsoever.  Every bit of it is different.  The solenoids have been changed to stepper motors; the firebox is no longer mild steel it's titanium stainless steel; no more going to the rear to clean the combustion elbows they are located in the front now;  the circ is no longer is the rear, it's on the right hand side below the Firestar controller;  everything is different.  And, yes, I'm going to enjoy monitoring it where ever I am in the world.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

buckgrunt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 12:20:26 PM »

NICE !!!!  I just looked at the video for your new 550....Looks impressive.  I have an EClassic 2300 that also has been problem free since I purchased it in 2008.  Just shut it down today.  If you believe everything you read and hear about these OWBs, they are only built to last 5 years or so.....With proper maintenance and just knowing how to burn wood in general, it is my opinion that these things can last decades.......Looking forward to your future posts about the install and operation of the 550......If I ever have to shop for a new OWB, I would love to see it.....Don in Candia NH

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 09:48:42 PM »

That's exciting Roger! That new Edge HD has a ton of changes and improvements over our E-Classics! You will love the Wifi reporting and charts to your cell phone which I added unto mine a few years back. I shut my E-2400 down for another season last Saturday as well. Ran perfect all season again. I was still getting 1,200+degree reaction chamber temps last week.  For a 2010 it still looks great after clean-up. Just wish end of season clean-up was as easy as your new Edge HD. My dealer buddy now has some on his lot and they look awesome. . I have the bug to upgrade to an Edge 750HD as well. That rear exchanger cleanout door couldn't be any easier. Says those stepper motors can really fine tune how much air is injected into the primary and secondary for added efficiency. If he gets a buyer for my used 2400, he thinks he can get me into a new Edge 750HD for a good price, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise I have no problem running the 2400 for another season - now only 5 1/2 months away. This was a long heating season! How are you going to get your water lines from the back up to the front right corner? Or are you going to re-do your slab?

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 03:16:57 AM »

That's exciting Roger! That new Edge HD has a ton of changes and improvements over our E-Classics! You will love the Wifi reporting and charts to your cell phone which I added unto mine a few years back. I shut my E-2400 down for another season last Saturday as well. Ran perfect all season again. I was still getting 1,200+degree reaction chamber temps last week.  For a 2010 it still looks great after clean-up. Just wish end of season clean-up was as easy as your new Edge HD. My dealer buddy now has some on his lot and they look awesome. . I have the bug to upgrade to an Edge 750HD as well. That rear exchanger cleanout door couldn't be any easier. Says those stepper motors can really fine tune how much air is injected into the primary and secondary for added efficiency. If he gets a buyer for my used 2400, he thinks he can get me into a new Edge 750HD for a good price, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise I have no problem running the 2400 for another season - now only 5 1/2 months away. This was a long heating season! How are you going to get your water lines from the back up to the front right corner? Or are you going to re-do your slab?

boilerman; My 1400 ran flawlessly the past 7 years so I have no complaints other than the end of year cleaning and if you want it to keep you warm the cleaning/maintenance is a must.  I haven't cleaned mine yet. The weather hasn't been on my side to do that and I have a couple of large projects that need my attention before I can clean it.  I have an insulation company stopping by to spray foam the walls in my basement so a lot of stuff needs to be done before that can happen.  I was still reaching 1400/1500 reaction chamber temps.  My dealer had one of the 750's next to the 550 and wow, what a beast!  CB has a splice kit available and the installer is going to handle that for me.  I did not pour a slab, I had used pavers(sp?) so there is always a 6 or 7 inch gap under the OWB, plenty of room for the extra length of pipe to run.  Good luck and I hope all works for you.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »

Pointblank - I see you have the Edge 550 so I thought check with you.  Per the owner's manual suggestion I fired up the 550 this morning.  When she hit the high set-point of 190 ( I set it there) she went into idle as she should but after a couple of minutes I noticed the water temp creeping up a bit, seems like a degree per minute.  After 20 minutes the water temp went from 190 to 208 while in idle.  No doubt air is getting in somewhere, I looked for all the usual culprits (air getting around the seams of the door gaskets, etc...) but they appear to be nice and tight.  I decided to see if the stainless steel plates that sit on top of the elbows was closing all the way.  There are but I noticed that there is a 3/16" to 1/4" hole drilled into the plate that covers over the hole of secondary elbow.  Does yours have this hole drilled in it?  I'm wondering if I should put a piece of high temp tape over it to see if it has any affect on the temp rise.
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 09:31:27 AM »

I answered my own question; the piece of tape appears to be working.  The temp dropped from a high of 210 to 206 over a 1/2 hour.   I'll keep my eye on it and see what happens from here.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »

I don't think mine has a hole drilled.......but I'm not sure. I'll take a look tomorrow to verify. I do get some temperature creep after a good long burn, but its usually only a couple degrees. 

Were you able to run the stove through a couple burn cycles to see if it settled down and was just an isolated incident?
With it being summer and without a load on the stove, maybe it continued to take on heat from the coals after the long burn to bring it up to temp?
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 03:13:56 AM »

I don't think mine has a hole drilled.......but I'm not sure. I'll take a look tomorrow to verify. I do get some temperature creep after a good long burn, but its usually only a couple degrees. 

Were you able to run the stove through a couple burn cycles to see if it settled down and was just an isolated incident?
With it being summer and without a load on the stove, maybe it continued to take on heat from the coals after the long burn to bring it up to temp?

Later today I hope to have time to run the stove again to see if it was due to the hole that was drilled in the plate or if it was because of the coal bed.  On my old 1400 I got some creep also but usually no more than 2 or 3 degrees, not 20.  Thanks for the info.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 03:27:43 AM »

Roger have fun with the new toy. We shut down early this year, ran out of wood. I had some low reaction chamber temps this year that I blamed on the pine wood I was burning. Turns out I had a solenoid not pulling well, replaced it and it was night and day. Now I will add a solenoid check to every monthly checks. If I am not pulling at least 15 ohms I will change it. I built a 10-20 lean to for wood storage, got sick of tarps and ripped tent covers and stepping on skids all winter. Dry wood for sure this year. I am getting my wood from a guy down my dirt road who was logged out last year. Logging company left lots of good wood and he is giving most of it for free and selling some at $20 per cord.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »

Roger have fun with the new toy. We shut down early this year, ran out of wood. I had some low reaction chamber temps this year that I blamed on the pine wood I was burning. Turns out I had a solenoid not pulling well, replaced it and it was night and day. Now I will add a solenoid check to every monthly checks. If I am not pulling at least 15 ohms I will change it. I built a 10-20 lean to for wood storage, got sick of tarps and ripped tent covers and stepping on skids all winter. Dry wood for sure this year. I am getting my wood from a guy down my dirt road who was logged out last year. Logging company left lots of good wood and he is giving most of it for free and selling some at $20 per cord.

duramax - Man - I'm never that lucky to get firewood for nothing or little to nothing.  I get it by the grapple load, buck it to the size I want, split and then stack on 1/2 cord pallets that are placed in the field to dry for about 2 years. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »

I was close to buying a "log load" for $800, this is 7-8 cord of wood.  This wood I am getting is all along the side of dirt roads so it will be fun-getting it.Tractor with forks and loading up my truck. My next red neck idea is to take a broken down 16' camper and rig  it up to haul wood around. But I want to still have the back hoe on the tractor for ballast and pulling me out of trouble. Didn't say it was sane but what fun is sane?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:53:16 PM by duramax »
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor