Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hardy Parts  (Read 14120 times)

Jack Stone

• View Profile
Hardy Parts
« on: October 02, 2009, 04:55:39 PM »

Where can I obtain Hardy stove parts in the Mid-Atlantic area?  Hardy refers me to my local dealer who says just go to a welding shop and have the chimney cap fabricated.  I'm looking for both a spark arrestor and a chimney cap for an H2.  Thanks.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy Parts
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »

Where can I obtain Hardy stove parts in the Mid-Atlantic area?  Hardy refers me to my local dealer who says just go to a welding shop and have the chimney cap fabricated.  I'm looking for both a spark arrestor and a chimney cap for an H2.  Thanks.

jack, i am not sure i would recomend either...my brother inlaw put his OWB in a shed and added some length to the chimney and added a cap.
within the first three months of use the stove quit heating his house, he asked me to look at it and i found that the cap had filled so full with creosete that the chimney could not create enough draft to keep any more than a smolder in the stove supported. it was so bad that we had to destroy the cap to remove it

your conditions may differ greatly, i dont know. this is just a warningn to keep a close eye on your OWB and how it operates if you go ahead with the installation of these items

I would think that the items you are looking for could be had at just about any hardware store. Good luck with yoru project
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »

Jack, I've been burning a cb with a cap for 2 years. Last spring during very long burn times my cap/spark arrestor filler up with creosate and had to be taken down and cleaned.. Right now I'm still using it but if it gets clogged again it's gone!!
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »

i was told to use a cap but take the spark arrestor off or it would clog, is this ok to do?
Newrichmond, Ohio

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »

where is the photo section of this site?
Newrichmond, Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 06:32:53 AM »

I have an H5.  Not sure about the differences between it and your H2 so this may or may not help.  In mine, there's a stainless steel pan that hangs over a couple bars in the ceiling of the firebox right under the chimney.  When that pan is in place it serves as a very capable spark arrester.  Since it's just light sheet metal and since it just sits there it's easy to bump and it can warp from the heat so every once in a while it will fall.  When it does, I shoot enough sparks to be very uncomfortable when the fan kicks on.  So I have to watch and if it sparks a lot, I may have to put the pan back in place.  Happens maybe 2-3 times a year.

Does your furnace have a place for that pan?  If there are 2 roughly 1" bars running horizontally right under your chimney outlet hole, that's what they are for.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA