Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Copper VS PEX  (Read 2742 times)

DBeleskey

• OWF Brand: Polar
  • OWF Model: G2
  • Novar ON
    • View Profile
Copper VS PEX
« on: September 11, 2018, 07:28:29 AM »

I am installing a new Polar G2. I have LogStor 1" going from the owb to the basement. Once inside should I continue with 1" PEX or switch to 1" copper ?
I am told that most installations these days are done with PEX but all the pictures I see of installations of systems by users of this forum seem to be copper. I had planned on doing PEX once inside from the LogStor until I got near the furnace, about 12 ft, then turn to copper for the run to the exchangers and then back to PEX for the returns at the point I switched to copper for the feeds. Then, it was suggested that I just run PEX for all of it. Any suggestions would be great as I am new to this and want to try and make as few mistakes as possible...
Polar G2
580 Case
Kubota F2100
Stihl 028
Stihl MS261

Living the dream...
Near Novar Ontario Canada

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Copper VS PEX
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »

How large a house are you heating?

Remember 1” pex is more like 7/8” ID, the OD is the same as 1” copper pipe. But since the walls are thicker on pex you lose ID.

I’m heating 2800 sq ft, DHW and 117 feet of sidewalk when it snows, I ran Logstor to the house then one inch copper as not to lose any flow. On smaller houses or heat loads 1” pex will work fine, matter of fact my original lines were one inch but I had a very large temperature drop (Delta T) when everything was pulling heat, now with the one inch copper in the basement and Logstor to the house I stay under a 20F differential.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

DBeleskey

• Novar ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 01:38:45 PM »

My place is 3000 sq ft with DHW and that's it.

So, going from the LogStor to 1" PEX and then to 1" copper like I originally planned wouldn't make much sense ?
Maybe best to just byte the bullet and go right from the LogStor to copper ?

I was trying to avoid the cost of the copper for the long run along the ceiling from the wall where the LogStor comes in to the furnace. But, I guess if I loose to much heat and have to replace later it just costs more in the long run ?
Polar G2
580 Case
Kubota F2100
Stihl 028
Stihl MS261

Living the dream...

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »

Seeing your other post about the pump, you have a pretty short run of Logstor and that 12 feet of flow reduction from 1" pex versus 1" copper will be nearly unnoticeable in terms of head pressure. You'll have plenty of flow either way assuming pump is properly sized- run with whatever's easy for you

DBeleskey

• Novar ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »

So, you think PEX right over to the exchangers will be okay ?

It would be much cheaper for sure, I already have the PEX and if it would make any difference, that's the way I will go...

Thanks
Polar G2
580 Case
Kubota F2100
Stihl 028
Stihl MS261

Living the dream...

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:00:16 PM »

Have you thought about using 1-1/4" pex? It is almost the same ID as Logstor. Normally I would say just go with the 1" as wreckit suggested but that make the difference between one Alpha being big enough. Also, if you are using a plate heat exchanger, I would not go with less than a 30 plate if it is in series. I think doing those two things would keep you good for a single Alpha (or other ECM pump)

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »

The 1-1/4" would be a good idea too if it's an option. Even with full bore pipe, you're looking at about 14 feet of head which is only 5 GPM flow off the Alpha1 curve which is pretty light. With the Logstor and your heat load you should be flowing closer to 8 GPM. I'd still double the Alphas or go with a 26-99 myself, and with that done you could still flow close to 8 with 1" inside the house. It's entirely up to you. The 1-1/4" pex is a real bastard to work with but will definitely flow a little better

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »

can beat the look of copper....I ran 1 1/4 pex underground and all 1" copper inside home and buildings as I didn't want to lose flow, plus I love the look and feel of copper over pex

DBeleskey

• Novar ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »

Ya, I would like to keep the 1" with the copper too. I kind of jumped the gun a little with the 1" PEX purchase. I found a good deal and was told that it wouldn't make a difference and was less expensive to do. Had it in my mind from the start to do copper but the cost was a little intimidating. But, like I said before, I would like to do it as close to right the first time. If you have to do things over to get better flow then the cost of copper isn't so bad.

I can just try to sell the PEX and get some of the money back. Not much sense in putting the PEX between the LogStor and copper...
Polar G2
580 Case
Kubota F2100
Stihl 028
Stihl MS261

Living the dream...