Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: DHW  (Read 2872 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
DHW
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »

DHW,    Burnt up two of these so far. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-10-HP-Portable-Transfer-Utility-Pump-PC2/100047107. Trying to clean my tank.
Turned the hotwater back on from tank, it was yellow at first, then turned pink.
WTF?

Western Maine

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: DHW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:58:28 PM »

What are you running through it to clean it?? Are you allowing the pump to prime? I've never used that particular pump but I've run several thousand gallons through my Wayne cast iron with nary a hiccup. Another one in my work truck just like it that gets used a LOT and hasn't had any issues either

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 06:50:43 PM »

Vinegar and water, yes priming pump. 
Western Maine

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »

I had a lower heating element burn out on my electric heater last year, when I removed the element I couldn't get it out the hole for the lime and stuff stuck on it. I had to break the element in two to get it out and then  I used a long slim bar to loosen as much of the stuff as I could from the bottom of the heater, trying to break it up small enough to suck them out with a vacuum  clean and a home made nozzle. I would think if you were suck some of that gravelly stuff into a pump it would not last long
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »

I had a lower heating element burn out on my electric heater last year, when I removed the element I couldn't get it out the hole for the lime and stuff stuck on it. I had to break the element in two to get it out and then  I used a long slim bar to loosen as much of the stuff as I could from the bottom of the heater, trying to break it up small enough to suck them out with a vacuum  clean and a home made nozzle. I would think if you were suck some of that gravelly stuff into a pump it would not last long

Ha, I just took one apart, impellers are shot.
Western Maine

schoppy

• OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »

I have changed hundreds of electric water heater elements over the years when I was doing service work. I always knew a water heater on a water softener was cleaner but recently (before heating season) I had to change one of my own elements, the lower one. I was amazed to find the inside of my water heater, which is over 10 years old, looking like the day it was made. I'll keep my softener working for all the normal benefits you usually expect from it but this is another one not always thought about.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

wreckit87

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »

I noticed the anode rods tend to make a difference also. I have a gas WH and soft water at home, but one of my rentals has REALLY hard water from a 100 year old hand-dug well. I was swapping magnesium rods every 9 months or so (water was stinky) and usually 1 element in the same trip, just alternating every other one because they looked like crap. Every time had to flush the yuck from the bottom of the tank (this is a 15 year old AO Smith 50 gal) and had usually a good 1/2 gallon of solids each time. I switched to an aluminum anode rod about 2.5 years ago and haven't had a problem since. I was down there this summer to fix a basement wall that had caved in and pulled the elements to check and both looked brand new yet, and opened the drain just to check for sediment and scraped the bottom only to find a small handful of crust. It was pretty incredible really; the aluminum rod was well worth the investment IMO