Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Outdoor stove too big?  (Read 6339 times)

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
Re: Outdoor stove too big?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »

Gardnert,

I don't think you will have a problem as mine sits idle all day when its mild and after the sun goes down and the house cools, she fires right back up.  The 400 is a beast, I have one down the road from me.  You will probably only have to add fuel every 24 hours, which would be a sweet deal.  Don't be afraid of the sand and fire brick, once you get it set up and running, you shouldn't have to add sand again.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

Hydronix

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Effecta
  • OWF Model: 35kw
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »

Too big, NO. Its an OWB with lots of storage, its not like sizing a furnace or low mass boiler. An OWB is like a boiler and buffer tank in one. Is there a limit where you can go too big, well yes, if standby losses are more than 20%. Pretty much you burn one time a day or once every 2 days before you use all the stored btu's and are loosing more than your using. It would be a good idea to "overinsulate" the OWB to reduce standby losses. Check out some of the pictures from Garn's website, they actually encase them in some seriously insulated sheds. You could even get a view of the OWB's insulation quality with an infrared camera to see how its doing.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »

Too big, NO. Its an OWB with lots of storage, its not like sizing a furnace or low mass boiler. An OWB is like a boiler and buffer tank in one. Is there a limit where you can go too big, well yes, if standby losses are more than 20%. Pretty much you burn one time a day or once every 2 days before you use all the stored btu's and are loosing more than your using. It would be a good idea to "overinsulate" the OWB to reduce standby losses. Check out some of the pictures from Garn's website, they actually encase them in some seriously insulated sheds. You could even get a view of the OWB's insulation quality with an infrared camera to see how its doing.

Lot different situation there....  U batch burn garns, there are a lot of issues that can arise from going to big and not batch burning
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 [2]