Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Well, well, well...  (Read 2113 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Well, well, well...
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »

It's a deep subject.  ;D

We've been here 4.5 years and have put up with the brown/red staining in the toilets and tubs and the occasional water cough of brown water.  We have a good bit of iron in the water.  Well, I decided to start filtering it with one of the 4x10" 5 micron filters.  It worked great, but plugged up in 2 days.  So I tried a spin-down filter and that would plug up quickly and need flushed a couple times a day and cleaned every couple of days.  Not good.  I took that out then, and a couple days later, my well pump died (unrelated, probably).  Not knowing how deep it was or what style pipe I had in there, I called up a well company for an emergency visit.  He showed up with a couple kids and pulled my 160' well with black poly pipe in about 2 minutes, after checking to make sure my pressure switch and power wires were in good shape.  The pump was "ironed up" as he called it, or better described as full of orange colored sludge that was impeding the impellers from pumping.  He had the right replacement Goulds pump on the truck and had water flowing again in about 15 minutes.  He hung the pitless adapter off of the edge of the well casing and let it flow for a while.  The brown sludge that pushed out of my pipe was amazing. 

All of the loose crud that got stirred up is still trying to clear itself out of my pipes right now.  The well guy suggested getting my water tested and then selecting an AirCat filter that back flushes itself and uses no chemicals or salt and has no maintenance for 5 years.  I will likely go that route.  He also pointed out that at some point, someone spliced my horizontal underground line with 3/4" pipe instead of the 1" and it was restricting my flow.  So I will dig that line up, find the splice, and replace it with 1" using the stainless steel barb he left with me for that purpose.  I think I'm going to replace my 22 gallon pressure tank with a 86 gallon pressure tank, too.  It will make the new pump run less often and run longer when it does, so maybe it will last longer than 15 years. 

I'm also thinking about buying a replacement pump and storing it in the house.  I have the model number (7G07) and I can easily weld up the roller tool they clamped onto my well casing to help pull the pump.  Next replacement I can do myself and not have to wait all day on the well guy.  In fact, he suggested I could do the next one myself.  I did it at my last house with a 55' deep well, but I didn't want to attempt this one because I thought it was almost 300' deep.  It turns out it's half as deep as I thought and well within my means of pulling myself. 

New well pump + the emergency call was about $1300.  Even if I have the worst iron problem ever in my water, the biggest filter system is only $2200.  New pressure tank and stainless tee is about $900.  It hurts, but it will be worth it in the long run.  Last month, I had the privilege of buying a new central AC unit and new transmission for the Suburban, too. 

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Well, well, well...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »

I have a waterloos softener with a built in screen and iron filter, not sure how much un dissolved iron it will handle, water boss also makes a dedicated iron filter. With the amount of iron you have not sure how well either would work. Next time I have some spare scratch I’m gonna install the iron filter to try to get the last of the dissolved iron out of my water.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 05:57:16 PM »

My well guy is pretty familiar with the area.  He said typical pump life is 12-15 years due to the iron.  They only sell these AirCat filters and he said they do a pretty good job on the iron in the area.  He did make sure to mention that they were NOT softeners and usually the water around here was below 10 grains of hardness once the iron was filtered out.  He also said that IF I still needed a softener after the filter, it could be sized significantly smaller since it wouldn't have to handle the iron, too. 

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 12:51:56 AM »

I'll tell you one thing, it's been an expensive year for me as well. Several thousand on health problems, well pressure tank died, the heating crisis, then the heat pump goes out last month. Too many moving parts, drove me into debt.

My well and pump guys said 10 years was the average life of the pump. The wire cost more than the pump, 3 lines of 600'. And the pressure switch stuck closed last october, it dang near made for an epic household disaster in my life because there was no relief valve except on the water heater. If I had been gone when it happened... hate to think.

So the poor pump, it pushed its way up to 150 psi, destroyed the pressure tank, and lived to tell the story. Now there is a redundant pressure switch modified to take over if the primary one gets stuck, then the relief valve of course. In attempt to prolong the pump life there is a hauss of a tank in there now and a modified pressure switch so the pump is never on for less than 3 minutes.

At least my water isn't screwed up.

Don't forget a new relief valve with that tank. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »

I've never had a relief valve on any well system I've ever lived with.  But, the stainless tank tee I purchased comes with an adjustable relief valve on it, so I'll set it around 75 PSI and leave it there. 

Fortunately, my wire only has to go down 160' and what was in the casing was in good shape.