Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New construction and ordered my burner today  (Read 2409 times)

Gilks

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: none yet
  • OWF Model: none yet
    • View Profile
New construction and ordered my burner today
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »

I've been doing lots of research via the web, talking to folks in person, and passively following this forum. My wife and I are building a house on our farm which does not have natural gas available. She likes her warmth so I knew electric is not going to cut it and plus I would be too frugal to use it. We have a woodstove insert in our current home and love the heat. The dirt and smoke are not so appealing. I've turned to the outdoor woodburner alternative. Ordered a Bioburn stove which is made somewhat locally in my region. I designed my own house plans which includes pex throughout the basement floor, garage floor, and sunroom concrete floor. For the main area living space I'm going to install pex under the floor. I really hope and pray I don't regret all of this. Please tell me I won't. This is a big chunk of change. 

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
Re: New construction and ordered my burner today
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »

Gilks, welcome, I bit the bullet 10 years ago, very similar feelings at first, built a new house with infloor heat and installed an OWB. You will love the warm house and hot water and you won't use much backup (electric,oil or propane), you will have to cut and handle wood but it sounds like you are versed in that already. It takes a while to pay back but there will soon come a day when you will wonder why you were having second thoughts. You have a lot of work ahead of you, good luck with your project, I relate with your concern but I think you are doing the right thing and will not regret any of it.

Gilks

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: none yet
  • OWF Model: none yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:53:12 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate it. Here in SE Ohio we have had some rough summer storms for the past two years. I have more trees down on the farm than I can keep up with so just cleaning fallen stuff should keep me supplied for a while. I'm curious, has anyone burned Tree of Heaven (http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/midatlantic/aial.htm)? I have a couple of growths of it that I need to kill one way or another, but I was wondering if the wood burned with any efficiency.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:10:20 PM »

As long as system in CONCRETE is designed/laid out correctly you will never have any complaints - just remember its easier to put the tubing in before the concrete goes down, gets rather $$$ after the concrete is in (in you are talking about an in-slab application)  :thumbup:

Some of the nice things about hydronic systems in general is that;
  • they run quieter (don't have large fans pushing hot/warm air around)
  • generally run lower water temps (than using a Water to Air HX - fan coil)
  • less likely to feel drafts (from openign and closing exterior doors)
  • The main thing that sold me NO MORE cold tile floors, in bathroom right outside shower in winter for the wife to complain about
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:11:54 PM by LittleJohn »

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »

We have it (the tree) in N.C. as well.

I've been told it's hollow in the center and not very good burning materials.

I've also been told you can cut it down and pour roundup brush killer or similar and it will kill all the offshoots as well.

I'm getting saplings poping up 50-70' away from the main plant.

Michael

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnaces
  • OWF Model: 400 HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »

Tree of Heaven grows like weeds here and it SINKS when you cut and burn it. It is soft wood.

Ohiowoodchuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 06:56:51 PM »

Tree of heaven is junk. If you want to get rid of it use garlon 4 with diesel fuel and spray the base of the tree and up about 2 foot. If you cut it it sends out sprouts and it becomes harder to kill. By the time the tree realizes it has been hit with garlon 4 it's already to late and will die. I had a forester help me on my farm and this is by far the best way.

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »

I always think of OWB's in particular with older harder to heat properties. Just wondering how you sized your Boiler?