Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wood Doctor Warranty!  (Read 10003 times)

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
Wood Doctor Warranty!
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »

Have you notices the phrase in your Wood Doctor warranty, "on site or at our factories"?  :-\

Returning "a part" to the factory when requested by Wood Doctor may not seem like a biggy, but what if Wood Doctor considers "the part" to be your entire furnace and what if "the factory" is in Manitoba? 

I am the not so proud owner of my second 2000 lbs stainless steel exterior wood furnace.  My original furnace developed perforations in it's belly causing it to loose all it's water in only it's second heating season.  I managed to make it to spring by holding vigilance over ten or so pine plugs hammered into the holes to stop the leaks! 

This first boiler was promptly replaced under warranty by Wood Doctor at virtually no cost to me. 

This replacement stainless steel boiler has now just barely made it threw it's third heating season this time developing perforations primarily along the belly weld lines! 

My original furnace has a 25 year warranty covering repairs at 100% for the first 5 years.  I am still within the first 5 years of my warranty and have had two of these boilers corrode out on me.

This time around though, Wood Doctor is exercising a phrase in it's warranty which they believe gives them the right to request that I ship my entire furnace half way across the country for assessment to repaired or replaced rather then they send someone local to fix it.  It is simply ludicrous to me that they believe they can interpret their warranty in this way, making  it,  in fact, no warranty at all!  Their interpretation is essentially that an entire 2000 lbs furnace is a "part" that they can request be returned to them for repair! 

I've stuck epoxy putty over all the holes in my Wood Doctor and put it back online for this heating season, but I have no idea how long it will be able to hold water!  I do not seem to have much choice at present!  :'(

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:18:24 PM by MyLeakyWoodDoctor »

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Doctor Warranty!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »

Wow!

No responses to this one!

somebody say something!

Leaky  ???

Tiny Tim

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »

That is a bad situation that you are in, I am sure it is not cheap to send it in. Storys like this make me Pi***d off that these manufactors do not live up to their end . Were these leaks around the weld? Good luck and i hope they fix this for you with no cost to you. If you have to send it in it might be cheaper to buy a welder and weld it yourself. Keep us posted and I wish you all the best.

Tim

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »

Hey Leaky,,,,,,,,, I've read about your furnace, and seen the pics, and agree that the company should take care of it at no expense to you.  Their warranty sells stoves, and they need to lived by the warranty. 

I have a question.  Do you live in an area  that has public water, or is your water from a well.  The reason I ask, is that I just cleaned my Stanley thermos a couple days ago.  It is stainless steel thermos with a lifetime warranty.  I soaked it overnight in a solution of about 10% bleach (clorine).  The next morning,  the stainless steel had corroded through.  If you use public water, some of this responsibility might fall back on the municipality that provides the water.  Clorine HATES stainless steel, even the slightest amount of clorine will attack it over time.  The corrosive effect is increased as water temperature increases.  This is especially true of 304 and 316 stainless.  I'm not sure what the Wood Doctor is made of.

Just a though......
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:57 AM »

Hey,

I have heard via the grape vine that Wood Doctor maybe soon be sending a certified welder to my home to repair my leaking beastie!  :bag:

If this actually happens, the words "On Site" in my warranty will actually mean, "On Site!" .

I hope to be impressed by the work that is done to repair the many leaks and cracks in my Wood Doctor boiler and will be sure to post a number of pictures here to document the work for all to see!  :thumbup:

Perhaps next heating season will be a "leak-free" one!  ::)

Leaky  ;D

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »

Good Luck!  You've had your share of BAD LUCK with your Wood Doctor.
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »

Leaky,

It would be nice to see what it looks like undressed.That way the pictures should be easy for you to take,and for us to see. Hope it all goes well for you.You could use some good news that it is fixable. Best of luck.

PS Are they going to wait until you are finished heating this year,or very soon to weld on it?
Ron
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »

Leaky,

Still no word about your WoodDoctor repairs? Did they show up,could they do anything to repair it?

Ron
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »

Leaky,

Still no word about your WoodDoctor repairs? Did they show up,could they do anything to repair it?

Ron

Well, I asked the welder to wait another month so I could take the furnace completely off-line for the summer.  That way I can really strip it down and let this welder have at it!!  :photo:

So buddy comes and welds over all the leaks currently in my Wood Doctor Boiler and maybe I'm leak-free all next season . . . "Maybe!".

What worries me is this crappy stainless steel this Wood Doctor furnace is made out of!    :bag:

It's supposed to be 409 stainless but it's about as resistant to corrosion as an old soup can!

I just have this feeling that year after year I'm gonna find myself facing the same problem . . .  :bash:

All I can do is document it all and pass it along to anybody who's interested!  :photo:  :photo:  :photo:

Leaky  :'(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:44:24 AM by MyLeakyWoodDoctor »

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »

Hey Leaky,,,,,,,,,,, have ya thought about contacting the Attorney General in your state??  Might be worth a try.  Our Attorney General in WV loves taking on companies like this.  Worth a shot,,,,,,,,,

Mark
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Doctor Warranty! - See my Welding post!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 06:15:48 AM »

Wood Doctor welded it up for me!

Leaky  :thumbup:

Fishhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 12:12:33 PM »

Quote removed by admin.

This is an interesting page I came across. I have always loved burning with wood, and know a lot of people that use outdoor wood furnaces.  I have been paying attention to them for about 9 years now. However, I noticed a couple things wrong with the comments on this page.

The guy who has a furnace that was leaking then replaced under warranty, now leaking again. This furnace was made by Global Hydronic not Wood Doctor. This furnace carriers Global's Warranty not Wood Doctors. I know Wood Doctor used to sell some of Global’s Furnaces years ago. They were sold with a Global Factory Warranty. I know this is a Global because of the weight being only 2000 pounds. Wood Doctors are heavier then this and built of Certified Boiler Plate Metal, not Stainless Steel.  Also, Wood Doctor has never offered 25 year warranty on stainless steel stoves. Wood Doctor offers 30 year warranty on their boiler plate. They used to offer 15 years on their stainless steel. But stop building them out of stainless and now only build them out of the Certified Boiler Plate. Global Hrydronics does however offer 25 year Factory warranty on their Stainless Steel furnaces.

People have had a lot of problems with Global's Furnaces. I have seen this all over the web and have talked to many people about this. The Global furnaces that Wood Doctor did sell have unfortunately given Wood Doctor a bad name. I heard people say that Global did change their warranty so that they can request to have the furnace returned to the factory for replacement or repair. Global must want to have their boiler shipped back for testing so they can see if it’s been misused or abused. Holy, to go through two furnaces in five years… Makes me wonder what are you burning in this furnace? Also, have you been treating your water to keep it from rusting?  Or maybe it is just because Global knows most people won't pay to send their furnace back at their own expense and pay again to get it shipped back to them, as it would be cheaper to just have the furnace repaired on site out of their own pocket.   I just looked at the picture of your warranty sheet. It says right at the top that the warranty is only issued with GH (Global Hrdronics) Series Stainless Steel Units. Also, I see from the pictures that this guy’s furnace is Green; Global is the only company that builds Green Furnaces. Wood Doctor Furnaces are a beige/grey color. Years ago Wood Doctor sold a few Global Hydronic's Furnaces with a Global (GH Series) Factory warranty.

I just looked at the ad that was listed in Kijiji. That Class Action was talking about. This is Wood Doctor Head office selling off a couple of last years left over models. The ad even says it is for 3 stoves only. It is hard to say they are under cutting their dealers by trying to sell a couple of older furnaces at a discounted price. And they probably don't even have dealers in their home town as they are there. Also the dealers would most likely rather buy the newer improved models.

Also, I looked up www.outdoorwoodfurnaces.ca. This is a link to a small dealer that that has bought a dozen wood doctors in Keremeos, BC. This is not Wood Doctor like the guy wants to lead you to believe, but just one of the 400 or 500 dealers that wood doctor has.

It frustrates me to no end to see people go on about things when they have their facts mixed up. I do realize that most times it is the competition posting these negative comments so they can sell more furnaces… They must know that the Wood Doctor is a great furnace, and has been getting built better every year.     Happy Burning

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:50:27 AM by PhinPhan »

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »

re-read
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:46:11 PM by juddspaintballs »

classaction

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »

WELL well , looks like the owner has surfaced ! he said , she said , oh well , not my problem now , I switched back to electric.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »

as a neutral person i would suspect someone who appears from out of the blue to try to explain someones rants and raves about  a product would only be someone with a close tie to it . i dont care when someone says how fords suck or cat equipment is over priced, or anything   e lse stupid. witch makes me wonder what connection fishhunter has to this?   like his name implies .. FISH HUNTER  ..''  a sucker to find ''      classaction i think your write on ,A.T is here.
Pages: [1] 2