Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: He 5000 gas  (Read 4422 times)

Jcl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
He 5000 gas
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »

So winter is almost over thinking of buying a He 5000.  Whats  the burn time using a He5000.   i work 12 hour shifts gone from my house 14-16 hours was wondering how long they  will run between loads and how much wood you think you have burned this year!      thanks
wood doctor He5000
Block buster wood processior
Jd 855 backhoe

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
Re: He 5000 gas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »

Most any gasifier will go that long easily. Majority of regular units will do it also with a big enough firebox.

Jcl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »

i was just  wondering coming from a force hot air wood stove to a new He 5000. How many cords of wood i will need for the next year.  have been doing 3 cords a year.       
wood doctor He5000
Block buster wood processior
Jd 855 backhoe

oldchenowth

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »

This is my first year with a HE5000.  I usually get 12 -14 hours of burn with mine. I am also fairly exposed to wind, which does not treat mine well.  I seem to go thru more wood when windy than when bitter cold.  I would suggest a wind break or enclosure of sorts to help with the time.  I am in a 1600 sq ft farm house with minimal insulation and my wife keeps it at 75+   24/7.  I figure I have chewed thru about 5 full cord since mid October.  But I also had some wet stuff in the mix that didn't perform well.  All in all I am very pleased with my HE5000.  Others have had their problems over time according to this site.  I do not know what year 2 + will bring me, hopefully no troubles. 

Just my penny worth of knowledge and opinion from a newbie to the sport.

dirtryder

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:27:32 AM »

I "had" a HE5000 for almost 2 full winters. I just sold it and purchased a larger unit (non-gasser) to handle my heat load. The Wood Doctor is a well built unit that did what it claimed to do, but as with mostly all OWB's the heating potential claims where a "bit" overstated. It was undersized for my application and because it worked so hard to keep up, I was stuffing it full it 3 times a day and having to wait till 11pm or so at night to fill it to get an overnight burn. When it got cold out, the fan "never" shut off. This I feel was my major problem because I think most of my heat was going out the chimney. I will also agree, wind seemed more of a factor than temp on the performance of the boiler.
Don't get me wrong, I feel the HE5000 is a superp boiler and would recomend one as long as you are going to heat within it's limits. (this stands for any boiler).
I saved over 11k in propane bills in 2 winters with mine.......it owed me "nothing" when I sold it.