Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How much wood does your furnace burn?  (Read 11826 times)

jimmala

• View Profile
How much wood does your furnace burn?
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »

Hello, I am from Tennessee, I have a Hardy Furnace H2, no complaints at all !!!!   My question is, how much wood do you guys burn from Fall to Spring? I know the answer will vary based on the winters, BUT, I have probably burns 30, yes 30 ricks of wood, which I assume is 15 Cords!! Is this normal or exessive?

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: How much wood does your furnace burn?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »

I have a CB 6048 and I think I burned probably 10-12 cords this season.  Hopefully I'm done.  I heat a 5000 SF home with 2 furnace heat exchangers and infloor heat in the garage and basement floor.
Hudson, WI

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »

I have an aspen 175(now an empyre) and heat 3500 sq feet and my basement and hot water using 1 and 1/3 cords per month. I live in maine. I keep my house at 73 degrees.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:43:20 PM »

Hello, I am from Tennessee, I have a Hardy Furnace H2, no complaints at all !!!!   My question is, how much wood do you guys burn from Fall to Spring? I know the answer will vary based on the winters, BUT, I have probably burns 30, yes 30 ricks of wood, which I assume is 15 Cords!! Is this normal or exessive?
what do you call a rick  12" x 4 'x 8'...16" x 4 'x 8'....24 "x4' x 8'...???? you may or may not be burning that much wood
if you are burning 15 cord you either have a very large heat demand or you are burning green wood or you have design issues

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

markc

• Training Wheels
  • coalman 400,000 stoker,coal,pellets,biomass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:38:12 PM »

i burn coal in central ky, 11 tons of east ky stoker coal 13,900 btu per pound,toaly smoke free, just serviced the stove today, i went 10 days on this last hopper full
which is 700 lbs without emptying ash or servicing stove my fire has not been out since nov 09
markc. coalman 400,000 stoker boiler
once you burnt black you never go back
http://www.outdoorstokerboilersofky.com/

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »

markc,how much does it cost you to burn coal for season? i had a coal stove years ago and was amazed how much heat came from it. if i had to buy wood i would definitly think about coal to burn in outside furnace.it has way more benefits except it cant cut it down!

markc

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:11:02 PM »

100.00 per ton delivered and augered in your shed, about 10 to 12 tons per year heating 3100 sq ft not counting basement, all hot water and 2000 sq ft shop,
i burned wood for 30 years and i just did not have time to cut it ,handle it and service a stove everyday so i buy coal and service
the stove in cold weather about once every 4-7 days, i put some pics of my unit on the pics site

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:28:17 PM »

wow , that sounds good .so you keep it going year round? is that stove only a coal burner,or wood also . that sounds like a great choice for summer for me if possible.

markc

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:50:25 AM »

im going to shut it down may 1 ,if i had a pool i would keep it going another month on each end of season but the stove is extremely reliable no ups and downs on fire whether its burning good or not , thats  the reliabilty of stoker coal
when it comes on it always burns the same it accelerates to full burn within 5 sec ,no need to have hot water storage because the coal has such a quick recovery time,my boiler is 108 gallons, my water temp recovers at 2 degrees per min, if you need more heat its like a turbine eng just turn the fuel up,but you have to buy coal same type coal your powerplant uses it is also rated for pellets, biomass and ul liisted same technology the schools were heated with for 50 years just modernised

pdboilermaker

• Training Wheels
  • www.princesspetitepoodles.com
    • View Profile
    • Princess Petite Poodles
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »

I live in the northern 3rd of Indiana heating a 100 year old country home that has no wind break.  It is a 4200 square foot house with 2 stories, it has r38 in the attic and r19 in the walls, double pane windows throughout.  I have air/air heat exchangers in both my upstairs and downstairs furnace and heat my water.  We have 4 kids so 6 of us and we keep it 70 during waking times and 62 during sleeping/work times

I used 12-15 cords/year with a woodmaster 4400
Woodmaster 4440, Sthil ms310, Jeep Wrangler to pull home the wood, Noritz tankless water heater, smart car

dmorris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:32:42 AM »

I use around 7/8 cords a year with my cb6048. Next year may be more I plan on heating my shop. Fired stove up 1st of Oct. & still burning.
Roseville , KY
CB 6048
STIHL 031AV