Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Side arm heater question  (Read 5374 times)

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
Side arm heater question
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »

Just got my first two weeks of heating with an owb under my belt.. Now that everything is going great I want to fire up my sidearm heater.

The problem I'm having is I turn the tank breaker off.. Open the valve that is connected between the outlet of the sidearm and the top of the hot water tank.. Let the sidearm do its thing for a day or so.. And when I go to use the hot water.. I get really hot water for about 30 seconds then nothing but cold water after that.. But if I run down to the basement and close the valve that connect the outlet of the sidearm to the hot side of the hot water tank.. I get a full. 50gallons of piping hot water.   So now I'm in a cycle of opening the sidearm valve to heat the tank.. Go down stairs close the value to Use the tank.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

TLuckoski

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
Re: Side arm heater question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:10:18 PM »

Sounds like a vapor lock . Do you have a bleeder valve?

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »

Yes.. Have a air bleed installed.. Sidearm is heating tank perfectly.. Just not harvesting the hot water properly.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:20:52 PM »

if you are heating teh tank as the side arm is designed to do but you say you are "not harvesting the hot water properly" then the only way this can be happening is if you are feeding the side are directly with teh domestic cold water. if  the sidearm is working properly you should a hot water tank full of hot water and when you open the tap the cold water should be feeding into the the tank (not the side arm) 
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:54 PM »

Yes.. Have a air bleed installed.. Sidearm is heating tank perfectly.. Just not harvesting the hot water properly.
is the water tank plumed backwards allowing the cold water that's comes in from well gets pulled right to the out pipe going to  house facet and so on, instead of being put in and gone threw heating process?  does that make sense?
kelly
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:32:47 PM by Maxfli »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »

there is a very good chance of an air lock. i would try turning the 45 elbow over, put a plug in the galv. tee and put a copper tee where the 90 elbow is and solder in your pipe from the valve there. this would insure the water from the side arm is rising steadily and any air bubbles should move upwards into the house lines. plus this downwards slope you have could work as  heat trap?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »

another thing i just thought of..if your tank is new it may have an anti siphoning device in the outlet of the tank. that needs to be taken out or find another spot to put  sidearm inlet
try and keep your piping no more than 3 inches above teh top of the tank
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »

The tank is a Canadian model GSW about a year old... How would I remove the anti siphoning device.. Where is it..What problems would this device cause.. If not removed..
Just want to say thanks for all the great help thus far.. This forum is awesome
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:35:45 PM by Maxfli »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 08:37:07 PM »

The tank is new... How would I remove the anti siphoning device.. Where is it..What problems would this device cause.. If not removed..
Just want to say thanks for all the great help thus far.. This forum is awesome
if yoru tank is new high efficency it will have this anti siphon device in both the cold and hot  pipes entering the tank

if not removed it will not let  your side arm feed water back into the tank. it is designed to NOT let this happen

i have never removed one so i cant say for sure how to remove it (if it is like a check valve in a wet rotor pump you just yank it out with a set of pliers)

i see in your picture there are a couple of rubber plugs on top of your rank, are there more entry points to the tank under one of these that you could use?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »

K.. I must not have these preventers or they have already been removed when the tank was first installed before I bought the house.. Because my sidearm is definitely heating water and getting back in the tank. Must b something else that's Dickered in the system
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:48:15 PM by Maxfli »

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »

i may be wrong still building my side arm like willieg  i think the sidearm is to be instaled bottom to tee at drain top to popoff tee the house lines in as without a sideare it looks as if it is all hooked to the sidearm if so it is acting as hot water heater and the hotwater is holding tank when you turn the valve it forces the water through the tank again i my be wrong just other input were is your pop off valve
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

renoman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ShopBuilt
  • OWF Model: One Hot Gasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »

Had this problem myself at one point. It seems that when you tee in the sidearm to your hot outlet
the cold flow directly through the sidearm easier than through the tank (path of least resistance?)
What I did was tee the sidearm in where the pressure relief exits the tank so the water will still heat by convection
but when you demand from the tank it can only exit through the supply hot exit to your house. Never a problem after that.

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »

Thanks.. Renoman u just explained exactly what I feel is happening... Will have to pull out the torch and do some soldering tomorrow to tap the out of the sidearm into a tee in the relief line.. The relief valve is not at the top of the tank it's about  half way up on the tank.. Will that effect anything

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »

reno makes a good point that is why i also suggested looking under those rubber discs for another entry point
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2