Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Burning Wood Chips??  (Read 9284 times)

RUGERGUNZ

• Training Wheels
  • Central Boiler 6048
    • View Profile
Burning Wood Chips??
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:10:26 AM »

I am still experimenting with my boiler.  (Central Boiler 6048).  I am running it year round to heat DHW and it is working great.  I throw in some junk wood and small chunks.  If I put in a good load it lasts well over a week just running the DHW. I live alone and take at least one shower a day, do a load of laundry once a day, and run a dishwasher at least once a week.

My question is does anyone burn wood chips?  I cut my own wood and get left with alot of branches, I can burn them but it is a pain to cut them small enough and trying to move them, then cram them into the boiler.

I would love to get a self-feed wood chipper and have the output discharge into storage bags.  (I can get mussel bags or sometimes called onion bags.)  This would allow air through the bag and for easy handling.  The bags could be laid out in the summer to season and then stacked and covered in the winter. 

I really want to do this and think that it would work, but don't want to spend the money until I know for sure.  I can rent the chippers, but the discharge needs to be modified to hold the bag, I work alone and can't do both.

Thanks, does this sound feasible?

cimalt

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Burning Wood Chips??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:18:58 AM »

Can't talk about an OWB as we're looking in to getting one. BUT, I do regularly put wood-chips on my log burning stove in the living room (I believe you guys in the USA call it a fireplace insert). It burns very slow and damn hot!
I can only imagine that as an OWB is a scaled up version that it would work. In fact we were planning to do exactly the same with our OWB if and when we get one set up.