Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: adding water??????  (Read 5356 times)

faulkner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
adding water??????
« on: March 12, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »

I have added water twice lately. about 2 or 3 gallons in the last two weeks. During the hard burn months I did not need to add any. We had a dern cold winter! I have checked all connections, door seal, damper seal and its fuction. I have checked all around for any signs of leakage. The water temperature has never exceeded 186. There are also no signs of boil over. The furnace was purchased in July 08. I have never seen any signs of leakage into the fire box. When I remove the fill cap or cover I do see some steam, but it seems normal to me. Any thoughts????

jon d

• View Profile
Re: adding water??????
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:24:46 PM »

I have never added water. I have forgot and left door cracked  and temp got to 209. No problems..Keep us informed!!!
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 05:22:33 AM »

I check our stove the first of every month.I do it when the water is at its max. temp., and through the vent I add water to the same level in the vent tube. In the last three months I have had to add about one quart of water each month to keep it at the same level.This way I am keeping the stove full with no air at the top at all times.I think with an open system you are always going to loose some water due to evaporation. I am retired now and have more time to play with the stove than I did before.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »

This is my first season with my 6048 but also haven't needed to add any water yet.  And I run CPVC for all my floor lines in the concrete!  Yes I said CPVC pipe!! :bag:  And it's been empty through all the hot and cold seasons for the last 10 years.  Every elbow joined with glue!

And yes... I knock on the wood I burn every day, in hopes that I don't get a leak!
Hudson, WI

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »

I've not added a drop of water this year, but have had leaks in my old boiler piping in the past.  The first place I look is somewhere besides the stove.  Maybe it's partly out of fear but so far the leaks I've had didn't have anything to do with the stove.
Pomeroy, Ohio