Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hydraulic Winch  (Read 2480 times)

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
Hydraulic Winch
« on: December 10, 2016, 07:33:13 PM »

So I'm in the process of adding a davit to my wood trailer. I have it mounted to the front of the trailer so I can swing it over to both sides and pick up some of the logs that my back says "don't do that". I usually cut all my wood in 4' pieces to haul them out then I cut them in half to split. I tried a 4000# electric winch , but it is way too slow. Most of my tractors have rear hydraulic remotes to connect to so I was thinking a hydraulic winch might be a lot faster. There is one of the largest fishing ports 15 mins from us so I started looking there for a winch and came up empty handed. Most of the new winches I can find are big$. Any of you guys out there know of anywhere to get a small hydraulic winch at a reasonable price? Internet searches haven't revealed much. Thanks guys  Alan
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Hydraulic Winch
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 10:33:35 PM »

Try Burdens Surplus Center or even eBay.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »

I would try to find a used Braden or similar 8000lb hydraulic winch and mount it on your 3pth. Easy to run a 5/16 cable and a snatch block to the trailer davit then you can also use the winch for other purposes.
I have a few old 8000lb electrics that I would gladly swap for a hydraulic....
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »

Yeah that thought came to mind but the IH tractor I use most has a 2 pt hitch which is what I attach the draw bar and trailer to. Plus I was thinking that if the winch was mounted to the davit I could still put the log splitter on the tractor and put the trailer next to it and use it to put logs up on the splitter.
SE Mass
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:15:08 AM »

Some hydraulic hose, a few sets of QD's and anything is possible...
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »

This is very true. I was thinking that maybe I could take the extra 2 pt draw bar I have and mount the winch to that and have a quick mount with the winch and draw bar in one.
SE Mass