Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Remote monitoring / Data logging  (Read 14048 times)

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Home made
  • OWF Model: P&M 250 knockoff. I accidently made it that way.
    • View Profile
Remote monitoring / Data logging
« on: November 25, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »

I've been using an Mport made by Ubiquiti to datalog monitor and alert me on the wood boiler's condition to avoid trips to the boiler and increase efficiency.
I'm not a re-seller or any ting like that I just like the device. Here is a link to the device https://www.ubnt.com/mfi/mport/

I have it to setup TXT me if it's out of wood, too hot, too cold and when the blower kicks on to make more heat.

The only down side the device requires the Mfi software to be running on a PC all of the time but I'm looking to move the software over to a raspberry Pi and put the Pi up in the boiler so it's self contained.  The software is accessible VIA a web site with full access on a PC and has a mobile friendly view with limited access.

Check out the pics.
2 are from my phone and the 3 others are from my PC.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Remote monitoring / Data logging
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:59:14 PM »

How much? Where do purchase?

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:55:24 PM »

Pretty cool

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »

That's awesome maybe with my next boiler I can do that.

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 09:56:26 PM »

Thier around $80 and can be purchased at Amazon newegg ect.
They have 3 ports on them and the ports can do multiple functions but each port can only do one thing at a time sort of a gripe about that on the forum. 
Ubiquity calls it a machine to machine interface and they have temp probes current sensors motion detectors and in the mfi software you can build logic for "automation".

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »

Could you tell us what items that you have to build your system and where they are located on your boiler or in the house etc? I looked at the stuff on Amazon and can't really figure out what I would need for individual components and I only see one temp sensor which I don't know how that works with a boiler system? Product model numbers would probably help. Where do you get their software? Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:06:04 AM by hondaracer2oo4 »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:11:06 AM »

Control by web also offers similar products, theirs come with an included html page so no need to have a PC running all the time to display data. Probably a little more spendy though, units can also be had with remote switching capabilities, on your way home from work early and want to work in the shop/garage? Turn your temp up remotely from your smartphone.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »

Could you tell us what items that you have to build your system and where they are located on your boiler or in the house etc? I looked at the stuff on Amazon and can't really figure out what I would need for individual components and I only see one temp sensor which I don't know how that works with a boiler system? Product model numbers would probably help. Where do you get their software? Thanks.

RTD probe any 100k will do but this is the one i'm using this will get connected to port 3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231395254678?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-M-Port-Integrated-Adapter/dp/B00HXT8HM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448655707&sr=8-1&keywords=mport

Software is free you can DL and try even without an MFI device.
https://www.ubnt.com/download/mfi/mport

On port 2 and 3 I'm using pins 1 and 7 on the RJ 45 to detect 12V on my relays that run the blower and blower cutoff.

Below is optional info if you like to tinker I'm not using any of this in my system yet.

mlappin
With the MFI system you can also control devices and this guy is using it as a thermostat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzNXUb4Oq48   I do not condone the manner this guy ran wire it puts my OCD on overload.

Here are the port pinouts for custom applications.
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205220780-Custom-Sensor-Pin-Definitions

Custom sensors.
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/sections/200919060-mFi-Custom-Sensors

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 02:27:35 PM »

Will the controller you use handle inputs from a K type thermocouple? Or better yet a S or R thermocouple?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 08:42:20 PM »

No it does not but it looks like someone adapted a K to it. 
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/mFi/Type-K-thermocouple-on-an-mport-working/td-p/1132910

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 08:23:56 AM »

Couple questions. How do you know when it is "out if wood"? You have to run a cat 5 cable out to the boiler?

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »

I've got things figured out. I ordered an mport, current sensor and temp probe. I am going to put the mport on the back of the boiler and put the current sensor on the fan wire so I know when that is running and put the temp sensor in one of the wells on the boiler so I can see boiler temp. My next question is does anyone know anything about wifi antennas? I want to put an exterior antenna mounted on the top of the boiler. I doubt I can use a UHF/VHF exterior car antenna, anyone know what I can use? My boiler is about 100 feet from my wifi router so I doubt the signal would be reliable unless I put an exterior antenna. Thank you.

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 07:37:22 PM »

I'm running a TSWB from Dwyer/love.
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/Switches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTSWB
It has two relays in it one for LSP low set point and one for HSP high set point. 
The HSP turns the blower on and off I have it set for 180 off and 165 on. I have the LSP set for 140 and when this gets activated the blower shuts down to preserve water temp the propane boiler gets activated for backup heat and the Mport gets activated to send the out of wood message.

The TSWB also has a timer in it to activate the LSP I have it set for 80 min but cannot get it to shut the blower down.   

I have found that calling Dwyer was not that beneficial when I told them the model of the device the techs acted like they never heard of the model.

I have cat5 ran out to mine but it will do wireless just power it with the POE injector. I found on mine that there is an ext ant connector on the circuit board if you want to utilize it.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »

I believe I will need the Unifi AP wifi access point to plug into my wifi router in the house In order for the mport to be able to bridge into the wireless network in my house? The mport  can't access through my wifi router by itself correct? Can I set up a temp alarm notification that will send out an alert if the water temp gets to low or an alert if the blower fan has been blowing for over a certain amount of minutes?

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »

I've got things figured out. I ordered an mport, current sensor and temp probe. I am going to put the mport on the back of the boiler and put the current sensor on the fan wire so I know when that is running and put the temp sensor in one of the wells on the boiler so I can see boiler temp. My next question is does anyone know anything about wifi antennas? I want to put an exterior antenna mounted on the top of the boiler. I doubt I can use a UHF/VHF exterior car antenna, anyone know what I can use? My boiler is about 100 feet from my wifi router so I doubt the signal would be reliable unless I put an exterior antenna. Thank you.

I'm not sure how the current sensor would work but I guess you could make a on off rule with it also. But if it were me I would use a 120V relay and hook it to the power for the blower and then connect pins 4 and 5 AKA wh/bl and bl/wh to the relay Common and NO.

At 100' the wireless might work if the mport is not behind metal possibly mounted in a plastic box on the outside of the boiler.

Regarding the ANT on mine there is a U.FL/IPX jack on the Mport circuit board this will require disassembly to access.
Parts needed to extend the ant.

1 of these there are two in the auction but it's what I could find in the US
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131614800524?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1 of these
http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=893&cat=255&page=1

1 of these you might want to pick your own length.
http://www.fab-corp.com/product.php?productid=16540&cat=283&page=1
Pages: [1] 2 3