Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shaver 165 is working great.  (Read 4107 times)

fooled again

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: Pro Series 165
    • View Profile
Shaver 165 is working great.
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »

I want to thank all the pioneers on this forum. Your collective wisdom has turned my 165 into a efficient system. I upgraded with Shaver Auto Damper Kit with Digital Aquastat & Upgraded Fan from Alternative Heat Supply. Works very well. I am only using one zone so it was a simple thing to drain the tank down to the exit, remove the cap and replace it with a coupler. Installed the dry well, closed it off with silicone, filled it up and fired it up. I also bought two 36" Class A chimneys from Menard's and slid the first one down over the top of the factory chimney and set the second on top and put a clamp on for good measure. I had to remove half of the metal roof to cut it to fit the new chimney and while I had the top opened it allowed me to pull out the old silicone seal from around that fill plate and reseal it much better. I also added more insulation to the top and wrapped my water lines with black foam and then folded bat insulation around the lines and held it in place with bailing twine. So far I am not having the previously constant creosote issues, I am getting consistent temps, set temp at 175 with a 15 degree differential. The temp hits 185-190 before things cool down. The only thing I would like to change is to add a second damper on the chimney. There is a near constant smoke exiting the chimney as the fire smolders. Seems like slowing that down would be a wood saver. Does anyone have any ideas on a second damper install? What is the general opinion of a rain cap/bonnet? I did not buy one, couldn't see the need, but I notice many of the "other" owb do have them.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
Re: Shaver 165 is working great.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:21:37 AM »

I put a cap on my Shaver, also added hail screen on the inside as a spark arrestor.  The cap is for the spark arrestor while in use and to keep water out in the summer after the stove is shut down.  You might not have as much problem with sparks with the taller chimney, but mine is factory stock length.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

fooled again

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »

I put a cap on my Shaver, also added hail screen on the inside as a spark arrestor.  The cap is for the spark arrestor while in use and to keep water out in the summer after the stove is shut down.  You might not have as much problem with sparks with the taller chimney, but mine is factory stock length.

I do get some sparks but not every time. I have placed a #10 can on the factory pipe, during summer, to keep rain out. Don't think a can will fit over the Class A chimney. One summer I put a 5 gal. bucket inside the stove under the chimney, just have to remember to check it during the rainy season.

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 09:19:25 PM »

fooled again,

Sounds like you got things figured out. Don't think I would damper the flue though.

If you cut off all air the fire might go out, especially on those warmer days. Plus creosote will build up on it, I think!

I do not use a cap, but I do cover the flue with a bucket in the summer.

Hope this helps

Greg Steinacher

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:36:50 AM »

I did remove the blower motor, removed the blower cage and you'll see the air passages in the motor. I sealed every thing off, put it together and the fire did end up going out. Ended up drilling a couple 1/4in holes in the housing to let some air in.

fooled again

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »

Thanks to all. I'll just leave well enough alone.

Ed165

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 04:24:12 PM »

I am new to this forum. I have the model 165. I purchased it last year in the spring. It was a reconditioned unit. I ordered it with the larger Fan with solenoid. I live just south of Kansas City. So far I am pleased with the performance of the Shaver 165. I have burned about three cords of Hedge and Locust mix, since starting up the stove in October. We have had the coldest winter since building our log home in 2001. In the past the electric bill was 600 to 700 per month now its 178 to 190. This winter I estimate we would have had 900 to 1000 light bills if we did not have the outdoor stove. I am going to spend more time looking at the changes I can make to the 165 to improve it. I will add the a dry well thermostat before start up next winter. Thanks for all the info on this site. I will report what my total cost to heat my house after the season is over and compare it to previous years.