Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Do you know what happens when...  (Read 5765 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Do you know what happens when...
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:39:33 AM »

you have a 4 pound mallet, a locked door to the house and no keys for the lock?  You get in!   :)  I pulled a bonehead move yesterday evening.  I went out for a while and when I got home I quickly realized I had forgotten my house key.  Luckily the workshop door was unlocked (bonehead move #2) and I found my 4 pound mallet.  I was able to get through the backdoor of the house, made my way through the attic (thank God for cell phones with built-in flashlights) to the main living quarters.  Tomorrow evening I need to fix the jam on the backdoor.  I have 8 siblings and none of them have a key to my house.  Perhaps I need to revisit my thinking on that.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know what happens when...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:46:41 AM »

I just went through this dilemma about a month ago. My girlfriend is from the city (the "city" is 1200 people) where people lock doors and take their keys out of their cars. Out here we do not lock anything, ever. Well, she decided for some reason that she would lock the house door when she left and nobody has a key because the door hasn't been locked in years. Guess who had to crawl his fat ass through a 2nd story window to get in!

P.S. I changed knobs/locks the next day and got keys lol

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »

I put a Schlage keypad deadbolt on my main entry door and a non-locking door knob.  I don't need a key to get in the house, ever.  The battery has needed replaced once, but that was evident by the door not wanting to lock as the battery got low.  I also keep a key hidden in my detached garage that is always unlocked, just in case. 

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 03:07:59 AM »

I put a Schlage keypad deadbolt on my main entry door and a non-locking door knob.  I don't need a key to get in the house, ever.  The battery has needed replaced once, but that was evident by the door not wanting to lock as the battery got low.  I also keep a key hidden in my detached garage that is always unlocked, just in case.

I once had considered installing one of those locks.  Perhaps I should rethink my reluctance whether to install one or not.   Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 03:10:26 AM »

Haven't locked in years.
Great story Roger, thanks!
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 07:38:05 AM »

Haven't locked in years.
Great story Roger, thanks!

Unfortunately we must due to the influx of people from major metro areas to the south.  We have a rather large illicit drug problem up here being fed by those from the big cities.  When the person can no longer hold a job due to the drug use, they'll resort to stealing and if you haven't nailed your stuff down, it will disappear.  I do not own a hand gun but I do have a loaded 12 gauge shotgun with 1 double 00 shell in each barrel next to my bed.  I pity the person who tries anything because I assure you that thing will leave a mark.     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 06:11:32 PM »

We installed one of these last year. They work great.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 02:54:46 AM »

I'll have to look into it.

Have you fired up your Edge 550 yet?  I haven't due to having a pellet stove in the living quarters that keeps the chill away.  I have the last 3 days of Oct and the 2 days of Nov off as a vacation week and I'll use that time to fire her up.  Because it's a new and complete different beast from the E-Classic 1400, I want to be nearby to keep an eye on her.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 06:13:43 AM »

I've got that same deadbolt on an inner closet door, it has impressed me, 4 years old and still has the original batteries. The canine does an ID check for anyone approaching the outer doors, if they don't pass and attempt to enter things get a little violent.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 07:01:50 AM »

Somebody was supposed to have one or coming out with a keypad deadbolt that works with the Nest.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »

Any idea how they hold up on sub-zero temperatures?  Here in NH it can get mighty cold.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 02:40:10 PM »

We don't usually dip below zero here, but we had a couple weeks of single digits last year and it worked just fine.  The electronic components are on the inside of the door. 

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 06:44:41 PM »

Any idea how they hold up on sub-zero temperatures?  Here in NH it can get mighty cold.  Roger

Hi Roger,

Ours worked good last winter with some nights getting close to -30. However, there is a storm door installed, which I imagine would help keep it a bit warmer. Also, the batteries and locking mechanism are on the inside of the door. The only thing exposed to the cold, as far as I know, is the keypad. I believe its a kwikset brand iirc.

As far as the wood boiler, ya, we fired it up about a week and a half ago. Been a fairly cool and damp fall here in MN with highs only in the 40's so I lit it up. Seems to be a week or two ahead of schedule compared to years past.
I bet your looking forward to starting up your new Edge. Its always fun to try out a new piece of equipment.
-Greg
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 08:44:08 AM »

I am a big fan of having a spare key some place hidden on the property - not someplace obvious like under the welcome mat.  I always remember the story when my BIL and family got home late one night, tired, the weather is miserable, and he can't get into his attached garage because the power is out and the garage door won't open and they have no keys on hand for the outside entrance doors.  So now they are scrambling to get a Motel room for the night.  I mean...seriously. 
Muskoka, Ont

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 06:14:25 AM »

I'm sure most of us have been there. I have a spare key to my house in my wallet because the wife and kid will use the hidden key and never put it back. I remember a funny story about going up to hunt at the camp in Maine. When I got there my key wouldn't unlock the door.Turns out someone had tried to break in and my buddies dad had changed the lock. While I was looking for a way to get in I finally decided to use the brick next to the stairs to break the window on the door and when I picked it up there was the key. When he showed up he said "I figured one of you guys would smash the window so that's where I left the key." Made for a good laugh.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.