Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Oops  (Read 7592 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Oops
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:00:33 PM »

12" of snow on the ground and still falling; start tractor with snow blower to clear yard; going great; dumb bell forgot to check fuel tank; clearing neighbors yard; tractor runs out of fuel; no fuel in fuel can; call another neighbor; he has about a gallon; just enough to get home.  Live and learn I guess.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:20:46 AM »

It happens Roger, just can't remember everything.
Western Maine

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 05:01:14 AM »

yea  things happen I go out tues morning started crane truck took out garbage totally forgot boiler.came home 10 hrs later out

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 06:45:48 AM »

We keep some heifers at a neighbors place to keep the pastures down, was waiting for things to freeze up so we could bring em home, they needed hay so I left with the loader and a round bale on the rear spear. Got halfway there (only a mile and a quarter down a dirt road) and the loader died, turns out the fuel gauge broke and decided to stay on 1/2 tank. Diesel of course so a bit more involved than just dumping fuel in.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:35:42 AM »

I have one of those old Cushman Truckster things, like the industrial work cart for the golf courses. Has an 18HP OMC opposed twin. I bought it 3 years ago and filled it with fuel (holds about 5 gallons). Backed it off the trailer when I got home and let it idle, then went to unhook the trailer and got a phone call to come into work. Came home 18 hours later to find it still idling in the driveway, still full of gas. Hour meter doesn't work but I KNOW there's upwards of 100 hours of run time on it, kinda just figured it ran on air as I've never had to put fuel in it. Until a few months ago, drove 2 miles to the neighbor's to drink beer and halfway down his half mile long hill, no more gas. Bone dry. Had to call my brother to come bring me a gallon to get home. Come to think of it, it's still running on that gallon lol

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »

We keep some heifers at a neighbors place to keep the pastures down, was waiting for things to freeze up so we could bring em home, they needed hay so I left with the loader and a round bale on the rear spear. Got halfway there (only a mile and a quarter down a dirt road) and the loader died, turns out the fuel gauge broke and decided to stay on 1/2 tank. Diesel of course so a bit more involved than just dumping fuel in.

The tractor is only 18 years old so the fuel system is self bleeding, just crank it unit it fires but you need a strong battery to do that.  We used to have a 1965 JD1010 diesel crawler that if it ran out of fuel it took a team of men to get it started again plus a strong battery.  Thank God for the self bleeding units. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »

It happens Roger, just can't remember everything.

Yeah but the older I get the more I suffer from CRS (can't remember sh_t) disease.  I am thankful that it didn't run dry while I was in the road, that would have been really bad. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »

CRS....i got it too
Central MD

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 06:28:08 AM »

My loader died in the middle of the road a couple weeks ago while plowing snow. Backed out of the neighbors yard and dead on the spot.  Had to walk home and find my wife and get the backhoe to drag it back. Of course the backhoe battery was dead  :bash: Guess that's what you get for being nice ;) Changed the filters and put in some of that diesel 911 then bled the pump and the injectors and it's running fine again. Good thing there wasn't much traffic that day.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »

My loader died in the middle of the road a couple weeks ago while plowing snow. Backed out of the neighbors yard and dead on the spot.  Had to walk home and find my wife and get the backhoe to drag it back. Of course the backhoe battery was dead  :bash: Guess that's what you get for being nice ;) Changed the filters and put in some of that diesel 911 then bled the pump and the injectors and it's running fine again. Good thing there wasn't much traffic that day.

I don't have any neighbors who have equipment or a truck to tow my tractor out of the road it run dry while in the road.  My neighbors are flat landers (one out of the heart of Boston, MA and the other 2 from NYC) and their definition of a large tractor is a lawn tractor with a 17HP Kawasaki twin.   :)   I kinda doubt it would be able to move the snow blower (weighs approx. 1000#) say nothing about trying to move a stalled tractor with the thing dragging.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »

Haha, our city folk are that way too. My lawn mower is a Deere X475 with the 23HP Kawi. Has the 3 pt which I use for moving trailers and such, might get me a box blade one day for the driveway, but it's still far from a "tractor". Bobcat gets used for anything serious that I need to do. I work in the metro which is 75-125 miles away depending on the site, 98% of the people I see every day have a postage stamp lawn and maybe 1 tree. They get talking about mowers and one will say something about the big tractor he bought from Home Depot (those crapty MTD things with the green paint and a Briggs under the hood) and everyone is just in awe about this fancy tractor. It's quite humorous actually. Had more than one citiot at my place that look at my mower and treat it like it's some godly invention only read about in books, and think of my 5 acre yard as a farm lol. Different strokes for different folks!

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »

wreckit - LOL - The first complaint we got from our neighbors who moved from NYC was, there are no street lights.  I told them, yes, there are, you're looking in the wrong place.  Now they thought I had 2 heads on my shoulders.  I told them to meet me outside at 10:00pm.  It was a nice summer evening, not a cloud in the sky and warm, so I brought a couple of beers with me.  They asked where the lights were I told them about?  I told them to look up - they had never seen such bright stars.  I stayed with them for about an hour chatting about whatever it was before I went home to go to bed.  I doubt they made it to bed.  They were genuinely awestruck.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:16:51 PM »

wreckit - LOL - The first complaint we got from our neighbors who moved from NYC was, there are no street lights.  I told them, yes, there are, you're looking in the wrong place.  Now they thought I had 2 heads on my shoulders.  I told them to meet me outside at 10:00pm.  It was a nice summer evening, not a cloud in the sky and warm, so I brought a couple of beers with me.  They asked where the lights were I told them about?  I told them to look up - they had never seen such bright stars.  I stayed with them for about an hour chatting about whatever it was before I went home to go to bed.  I doubt they made it to bed.  They were genuinely awestruck.

Hahaha awesome! I have a cousin who lives in Jersey. Actually all 3 of my uncle's children relocated to NYC or Jersey. The oldest one has a son maybe 4, last year he finally came home for Christmas and the little fella's head almost exploded when he saw a tree in Grandma's front yard. Poor kid went the first several years of his life and had never seen grass or a tree. Actually screamed bloody murder after seeing me, which was later explained that he'd never seen a beard before. I was quite convinced I was just that ugly but papa was adamant that it was the beard lol. I don't see how one could live that way

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 06:02:09 AM »

...citiot...

;D >:D :thumbup:

Never heard that before, good one.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »

Hahaha awesome! I have a cousin who lives in Jersey. Actually all 3 of my uncle's children relocated to NYC or Jersey. The oldest one has a son maybe 4, last year he finally came home for Christmas and the little fella's head almost exploded when he saw a tree in Grandma's front yard. Poor kid went the first several years of his life and had never seen grass or a tree. Actually screamed bloody murder after seeing me, which was later explained that he'd never seen a beard before. I was quite convinced I was just that ugly but papa was adamant that it was the beard lol. I don't see how one could live that way

My Dads best friend got married and moved to Alaska, several years passed and they came for a visit with there three year old, his Dad plopped him down in the grass and the kid screamed bloody murder like you plopped him on a hot grill or something. No grass up there in their part.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana