Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shavers pro 250 vs. NC 250  (Read 8236 times)

Another6

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Shavers pro 250 vs. NC 250
« on: September 14, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »

I'm new here. I currently heat with an earth stove. I've been doing research on OWF I like the shavers 250 and NC 250 any thoughts on either of these furnaces?? Thanks
Jack
Stihl farm boss
22t huskee splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Shavers pro 250 vs. NC 250
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »

Well...   I am active in this business 365 days a year and I would never ever reccomend a shaver to anyone.  Just google shaver problems and grab a bag of popcorn and enjoy, endless amounts of complaints and investigations

I was a natures comfort dealer for a few years.  The first few runs I recieved all had excellent welds and were real nice.  The last batch I recieved came from another builder, as nc does not build any of there own stoves.  The last batch was kinda sketchy and the welding wasn't near as nice, also had 2 nc120's burn the fronts off of the stove, but I beleive they fixed that issue.

With that being said, the nc 250 is still 100 times better than any shaver, the issue I have with the model ncb-250 is the long firebox, only the front half has grates, so the wood in the front burns well but the wood in the back burns poorly.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »

Seriously!!  have you actually looked at both of the stoves you mentioned !!  Just look at the fit and finish and the craftsmanship of the two stoves and there is no comparison.  The shaver looks like it was built by a middle school shop class. And if that isn't enough for you do like Scott suggested and google shaver problems and get ready for lots of reading !!  Good Luck with your decision.
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

Another6

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »

I'm hoping to look at both furnaces either friday or sat. Thats why I wanted some kind of input as to what to look for.
Jack
Stihl farm boss
22t huskee splitter

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »

Are they still building Shaver from used pipeline?

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

Are they still building Shaver from used pipeline?

Yea, and then turn around a brag about the thickness of thr material.....  Thick steel isn't that great when your trying to transfer heat
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »

What kjw58 said, I was all set to buy a Shaver did comparisons online and that is what I decide on. went to the dealer to look at one
and he just happened to sell NC and it was a no brainer NC was the one I got

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

I am new to this forum and not sure how to post.  Anyways here goes.

I live in W. Md and have been buring a Shaver 250 for five years.  For the most part I am pleased with my stove's performance.  I have had some small issues along the way.  My biggest complaint is the creosote build up in the flu.  Twice a  week during the my burn season (Nov. to May) I have climb on top of stove and unplug the flu.  I also had creosote so bad that it was destroying my door gasket.  Two or three times a season I would have to replace the gasket.  My next complaint had to do to the amount of water evaporation.  I can't even begin to calucalte how many gallons of water I would have to add per week. 

Without any modifications, I would always fill my stove twice a day... once at 6 a.m. and again at 10 p.m.. and  have no trouble heating my home of 3500 sq. ft. at 72 degrees.  If my schedule would allow it I could consistantly have 18 hr burn times.  I burn approx. 8 cords of seasoned wood 85% red oak and 15% white oak and locust.

This year I have made many of the modifications seen throughout this forum including the Ranco thermostat with the selonoid activated blower.  I also installed the 90 degree elbow on the overflow pipe and reinsulated the entire furnace.  I am hoping the furnance is a new beast with these mods. and the the creosote burns away better and the water does not evaporated at such a high rate.

Thanks to the members of this forum for their thoughts.  I am looking forward to burning my "new" 250 and having many positive posts in the coming weeks. 

Husky 555

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »

Someone could tell you better than me, but I don't you should have ANY evaporation.  As for the creosote, do you burn dry wood?  The blower will definately help out with the flue line.

husky 555

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:30:08 PM »

I'm guessing that my firewood has less than 20% moisture.  The trees I fell have not had bark on them for quite sometime.

With these modifications I anticipate little to no evaporation.  Everything is sealed up with high heat silicone including my door gasket that should no longer be damage with creosote.  With the blower modification, the furnace should shut down completley b/w burns and also fire much hotter durning the burns resulting in less creosote.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »

The solenoid shutoff you added on the blower should make a huge difference on the creosote. Going with a higher temperature differential setting should help too.

husky 555

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »

Currently I have the Ranco programmed to shut off at 170 and on at 165.  I'm thinking about increasing to 175 off.   Thoughts?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »

It is hard to say without being there but I would try getting it up to at least 15 or 20 degree if possible. If you can go up to 180 without risking it boiling, I would set it to turn on at 160 and off at 180.
Once you see how it runs with that setting you can cut it back and see if it makes much difference. If you have it really sealed up good, there is a chance the fire could go out with the large temperature differential so if that happens you need to cut it down some.

ShaverHater

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: NC250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »

Hello fellow OWH's. I've been heating with wood for over 35 years, having designed and built many plate steel wood stoves over my career, but never a wood boiler. In 2008 I bought into the Shaver hype about their OWB boilers. We ordered one in July of 2008, but by December 2008..no boiler, and given every excuse under sun why. Ben Shaver could write an encyclopedia of excuses, because we heard them all. I had purposely not rebuilt my oil fired boiler, since we were going to have the Shaver to heat the house. Or so we thought. After an all night online search we settled on Natures Comfort. We had no experience with them, but neither had we with Shaver, until they didn't deliver. I found a N/C dealer in PA & was given a very fair price for a NC250. We loaded up a trailer and drove to pick it up. 400 miles driving and one week later we had the 250 on the pad, and wired up. There is NO comparison to a Shaver. I am a nuclear certified weldor and fabricator. The welds on a Shaver look like something you'd find on a a high school shop project...pure crap! On the other hand my NC250 was the more professionally fabricated product that works flawlessly after 4 years of use.
I did file a complaint with the Arkansas State attorney Generals Office to get my deposit back. Which arrived a wekk after the letter from the ASAG office. Seems Shaver also has a hard time delivering your deposits back too.
Two words to remember for Shaver....Forget it!
Buy their junk at your own peril!

Remember, if it seems to good to be true..it probably is. In my case it absolutely was.

Shaver Hater

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »

i built my boiler from there ideal have more i want to do to improve am lost though information and bashing are two diffrent things. except for home built this shaver site seems to be the most liked :thumbup:
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029
Pages: [1] 2