Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shaver Mod  (Read 5273 times)

brink1963

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Shaver Mod
« on: November 01, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »

This is my 3rd year of using my Shaver 165 which I purchased from Greg Steinacher. I received the furnace within a week or two of the purchase. Prior to receiving the furnace Greg had giving me the manual so I had the pad ready when he delivered the furnace. My install consisted of two zones for a two story home. With doing the install myself, the
Shaver cost me a little less then $7000. I figure it to be paid for in propane savings this year. My neighbor has a Central Boiler which he had installed for around $12000 so he probably has a couple more years to go before he's is paid off. As far as I know he has Not had any problems and neither have I.  I have done some mods to my furnace including buying the spark arrester from Greg, I posted some of my other mods last November.  This year before I fired it up I added a flue blocker on the inside of the fire box as I never did like seeing the flames shooting straight up the flue. What I did was I bought three pieces of stove pipe (the kind with the open bead, ie the black stove pipe available where any kind of wood burning furnace parts are sold) and I fitted the pieces together one inside the other until I had one thick piece still opened down the length of the closing bead. Together the three pieces are about a quarter of an inch thick and cost about $23. I cut about 5 inches from the total length of the pipe so it would fit into the fire box over the flue pipe. The opened end faces the back of the fire box and the extension rest on the floor of the fire box, so the the only way the fire/heat can go up the flue is to go around the pipe extension on the back side of the fire box. Anyway I hope this will help the furnace retain heat in the firebox. On a side note I have not had any problems with my furnace, and maybe if I had spent more for a different brand I would not have to do mods...but where's the fun in that? Also Greg is a good person and he is trying to help like a lot of the people on this site offering suggestion and advice.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:35:02 AM by brink1963 »

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Shaver Mod
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »

Well said.........
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

rugerman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:57:33 AM »

I wouldn't spend to much on it  /// next two yrs will tell the story  good luck

doow14

• OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »

I did all the mods on my 165 and have to say its operating very good for me, thanks too this site.But I always have the rust out failure thing in the back of my mind seems like a high percentage do rust out in time,and the warranty isn't backed up very good.got my fingers crossed.Anyone out there with shavers operating 10 12 15 years lets hear from you.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

rugerman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »

very good question  to be asking    would like to hear from people who have had them 5 yrs  and they are still going///
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:37:10 PM by rugerman »

rugerman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »

I c we are getting a lot of proud owners  wanting to comment

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »

Starting my 6th season with my 250.  So far no major issues but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I have to say it is a much better stove with the modifications done to it thanks to this forum.  I heat approx. a 3000 sq. ft. home and garage at 70 degrees and use about 7-8 cords of dry red oak from 11/1 to 5/1 and can swing 18 hr burns in 25 degree weather.  As long as this stove does what it is supposed to do, I will have no complaints.

doow14

• OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »

I feel awful bad for you rugerman.It sure aint right.I have a feeling you aint going give up on this come blister or bleed. hang in there .Keep us posted
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

rugerman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »

one

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 07:51:23 AM »

One of the most important options before 2013 was the auto damper. I sold all my customers on the important need for this upgrade. It was like night and day on how the furnaces operated!

The Dealer should of pushed these auto damper a little harder. Don't have to worry about them now because they come with auto dampers now!

Looking to help rugerman if I can? I need to know who he is to contact him? Does anyone know him?

Greg Steinacher Shaver Dealer

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

Okay guys get together, thanks Greg
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.