Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: HELP! I hate my SHAVER!  (Read 521964 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! I hate my SHAVER!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 07:13:41 PM »

i think that is what this site was built for, glad to see it works. talk about paying it forward, my neighbor called tonight and asked if i could pull a guy out of the ditch as her husband was not home, i said my big tractor is not home but my little 20 horse  garden tractor was here and i would give it a try. well i did a lot of squirming and using the bucket to help push me back and him out and i got him out. turn out he was in my country (canada) for the first time and he offered me 20 bucks for the pull. i told him to give that 20 to someone that he thought might be able to use it to have a good christmas and sent him on his  way and told him my payment would be his promise to help someone else out when he seen the opertunity. (i believe he will becasue i still think humanity is not sunk yet)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »

Very good deed you did there!

If everyone were like that, this world would be a much better place.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 08:00:40 PM »

I was not bashing the owner at all, sorry it seemed that way!  My point is that shaver uses a price point tactic and then send you home to "make it work"   Thats not good for the entire industry. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

briguy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »

Just read all of your post and got a material list together! I will get the parts and get started! I will let all of you know the progress I make.
I can't thank you guys enough! I have been wearing my heart on my sleeve so to speak. Not to mention the amount of sleep I have been loosing over this!

Brian

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:38:50 PM »

Scott, I agree with you.  So many people don't know that much about the different brands, so you are very correct that it gives all outdoor furnaces a bad name. Its not just Shaver although it seems to be all we hear about on this forum, there are several other brands that also haven't helped the reputations of outdoor furnaces. Hopefully Shaver hears these complaints and finds ways to improve. I know some people don't believe me when I say this but I would rather sell against dealers with a quality product. To often if a potential customer hears of a horror story from another dealer/furnace brand, they lump all furnaces together and don't buy anything. At least when you sell against quality the customer is encouraged to buy a furnace and then its up to me to sell them mine.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »

Windwalker, I agree with willie , Cant ask for better help than that .

Willie that was a nice deed you did there. I always try to do the same .Its such a good feeling to be able to help somebody that is down and out . I truly believe it comes back to you .

As for what you said about the forum .Its sad its not regulated more to keep it as more of an information place instead of constant bashing that never stops. Look at the second post . Guy offers no help except to down the furnace . I have had the same  problem with other forums too. Someone asks for help and they are bombarded with negative posts. We need to focus on helping people . I explain the upgades to each customer and not everybody wants them. Its thier choice. They can do them later if they want . Some people still want the simple design and no parts to fail someday at the worst possible time. I am one of those people. Sometimes less is better. I like the ranco and the flapper /selenoid too but was very skeptical about doing them due to the possibility of failure of the parts. Guess what ,, The selenoid went bad already . No spare at the time so a little bit of a hassel for a few days.  I'm going to change to windwalkers simpler way (dryer vent air flapper )  as soon as i can make some room for it. Remember everybody is different and just because you dont like something doesn't mean it wont work for someone else.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »

Yoder , I totally disagree . I hear bad stuff about all kinds of products all the time . Doesn't make me not buy . If someone wants a furnace they can and will weed through the info and make their own choice . If Shaver is that bad your sales should be booming. Most of these problems are from people not installing them correctly. I know this from my own install. Now I'm making changes and things are working very good.

Briguy . My number is at the bottom of my posts . Feel free to call if you like for help .
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 09:43:03 PM »

russ be carefull of only going with a flapper. my neighbour did that (he bought one form a heatmore dealer, i only metnion that becasue i am not sure if they use them on their stoves or not) and on certian days when the wind was just right the wind would blow the hanging flapper open and boil his stove. he ended up going to a solenoid as well, solved his problems.

in year 8 my solenoid went out but they are an item that can be found easily. i now have a spare on the shelf. i think when i replaced mine it was about 25 or 30 bucks so i bought 2, also my uncle down the road uses the same fan as me so we pooled together and he bought one for a spare between us. the first one to use either has to replace it.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »

Well I dont have the room for it now anyway . Still plan on trying it someday though. Windwalker has been doing this for a while now with good results. I guess you gotta get the spring tension right.I'm inside a buiding now so wind shouldn't affect me now.  It would be nice to get rid of the selenoid. When mine failed Shaver sent one out  right away . I have since found a spare too.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 07:25:07 AM »

I just did the blower mod,still tinkering with the flapper wants to stay open just a touch,think it has to do with which way the winds blowing,I using a magnet with an 1/8" bolt epoxyed to the bottom of the flap.This unit is a different animal after these mods.One thing that I have noticed is with the intense fire when the blower is running I see wiffs of smoke escaping around the firebox door,I is this a big deal?When the blower shuts down it stops. 

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »

Most furnaces have adjustable doors. I've never looked at a Shaver door but if they are like every other furnace I've seen you should have several bolts you can adjust to tighten down the door or the latch.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »

Really there is no adjustment,the lever on my door was a little loose from the getgo I just used a shim to get it tight now I have an 1/8" piece of steel as a shim and seemed fine until I did the blower mod and the thing became an incinerator.I thought about using a bigger shim and reffing down on the door latch but I dont like that idea.btw thanks for the reply

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »

You may need to reseal the door.  Wait for a warmer day though.  Let the OWB cool down.

Reseal with hi-temp silicone. put parchment paper (some people use wax paper) over the fresh silicone so it doesn't stick to firebox opening and close the door slightly. Don't close the door all the way, just a little bit so the edge of the firebox opening will indent the silicone.

After the silicone drys, close all the way. You're done!

I put a really thick bead of silicone when I do it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:20:22 PM by Windwalker7 »

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »

Well I dont have the room for it now anyway . Still plan on trying it someday though. Windwalker has been doing this for a while now with good results. I guess you gotta get the spring tension right.I'm inside a buiding now so wind shouldn't affect me now.  It would be nice to get rid of the selenoid. When mine failed Shaver sent one out  right away . I have since found a spare too.

Hey just wanted to clarify, there is no spring tension, works by gravity.  I used a 45* , 4inch elbow so that the angle of the elbow would help keep it closed.  Also have wood screw in the bottom of flap and a magnet to help.

The flap is just a plastic dryer vent from Home Depot.  Several guys on the other forum, have variations of this mod.  Some just used a Dinty Moore soup can instead of the elbow and added a small bolt for weight to keep it closed.

smoak

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 06:15:38 PM »

''I've never looked at a Shaver door''????  WOW....Mr. Yoderheating.... Well then how can you have any sort of intelligent  input on the topic  Mr. Heat Master Seller ??? If you've never looked at a Shaver door then you've obviously never seen a Shaver stove,huh?? But you seem to have a lot to say about them....Maybe not enough activity on the Heat Master pages?? A lot of rave reviews on the product  you're selling huh???? You comments on the Shaver stoves show you probably  know little firsthand of  what you're talking about with regards to their features, functions, reliability, shortcomings, performance,or anything about them.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6