Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Getting chilly  (Read 2508 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Getting chilly
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »

Well, I decided to take the motorcycle to work this morning.  It didn't look THAT cold outside.  About 1/3 of the way into the trip to work the fingers on my right hand start to get really cold.  The route I usually take, takes me over a rather large mountain where there was no fog.  BUT, man was it ever cold up there!  There was a light frost on the ground in some places!  I knew I should have looked at the thermometer (that would have made too much sense) before I left home.  By the time I got to work I could barely move the fingers on my right hand to undo the chin strap. The ride this afternoon is supposed to be in the lower 70's so it will be rather nice.   Me gets the feeling that it won't be long before I have to fire up the OWB. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: Getting chilly
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »

36F this morning at my house this morning!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:14:10 AM »

38 in Sanbornton. Hey roger you need heated grips and an electric vest you will love em, But the frost & black ice will not melt as you pass over. Nothing more Frightening as feeling your bike get squirrley underneath when you skim over a little frozen surface!!! I usually ride until the salt hits the road. Nothing worse then riding home late and seeing a salt truck out salting the unexpected patches.  Ride safe & enjoy the fall weather.

What do you have for a bike?  Mine is an '07 Kawasaki VN900 classic LT.  With the price of gas as high as it is, I plan on riding for as long as I safely can.  At the moment the wild life is my main concern.  I've had a couple of close with deer this year so I really look for them while riding.  It should get easier to spot them with the brush and shrubs along side the road dying off for the season.  They can't jump in front of you from seemingly out of nowhere 

I have a set of gloves I purchased online that plug directly into the battery.  To turn them on, there's a switch mounted under the gas tank.  When I feel I need to turn them on, I reach down, flip the switch and walla, warm hands.  As long as my hands are warm, I can bundle up enough to keep the rest of me warm.  If I had known yesterday morning was that chilly, I would have worn them.  That's what one gets for not paying attention to the thermometer before leaving for work at 6:30am.  You ride safe too, keep it on 2 wheels.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

buckgrunt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 03:13:41 PM »

I like it a lot when there is "Frost on the Pumpkin" !!!  You all know what that means......

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »

I rode to work yesterday morning and it was 42 here.  It's a little chilly but still enjoyable for the most part I guess.  I have thought about the heated vest and gloves/grips and will most likely invest in some in the near future. 

I woke up this morning and it was 62 deg. in my house.  It's almost that time! I think I might get my OWB going in the first week of October. 

Here are my bikes.  The Fat Boy is an 02 that I sold last year to buy the 06 Street Glide that my brother and I just got done painting.  That picture was taken at 5 A.M after pulling an all nighter (that's me on the left).  We have about 150-200 hours in the entire project but I would say that 25% of that was drinking beer.   :thumbup:  Happy Riding!

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »

I rode to work yesterday morning and it was 42 here.  It's a little chilly but still enjoyable for the most part I guess.  I have thought about the heated vest and gloves/grips and will most likely invest in some in the near future. 

I woke up this morning and it was 62 deg. in my house.  It's almost that time! I think I might get my OWB going in the first week of October. 

Here are my bikes.  The Fat Boy is an 02 that I sold last year to buy the 06 Street Glide that my brother and I just got done painting.  That picture was taken at 5 A.M after pulling an all nighter (that's me on the left).  We have about 150-200 hours in the entire project but I would say that 25% of that was drinking beer.   :thumbup:  Happy Riding!

Nice paint job on that '06 Street Glide.  Sweet! 

It was 67 degrees outdoors here in west central NH this morning but the temps are to be falling tonight after the front moved through.  They are forecasting temps in the mid to upper 30's tomorrow and Friday.  I'll be using the heated gloves for sure tomorrow.  As for heated vest, grips, etc... I can wear enough that the rest of me stays warm but it's my hands that get very cold.  I believe it's one of the side effects of my blood pressure medication. 

I'll wait to fire up the OWB until around mid to late October.  I don't mind it being a chilly in the house when I get out of bed in the morning.  I run a couple of miles on the treadmill before going to work so the cooler air is nice. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »

Thanks!  Yeah, I still have to burry my water lines to the house because I installed in February of last year so I just laid it on the ground to the house.  I have a feeling I will be scrambling to get it all done at the last minute!  It seems like it's cooling off pretty fast here this year.  I'm getting married on Saturday and the weather looks good so far!  :thumbup:
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter