Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: pump may be bad?  (Read 5318 times)

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
pump may be bad?
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

I just installed a mahoning a couple months ago. Now that its getting cold out it dosnt seem to want to heat the house. Our house is under 3000sq feet. The furnace is 225,000 btu. The hottest I can keep it at is 70. Any higher an the blower will run all nite cuz it wont heat past 70. I also heat our domestic hot water. If I go down in the basement and touch the lines the domestic hot water lines are much hotter than the ones for the forced air.

Could my pump be going out??? Its a taco 009-f4.   I know its working I can hear it running. Not sure how old it is the furnace was a reconditioned one when I bought it with all used components in the back.  Could it just be that it cant keep up to the demand or may be plugged??

The air from the register dosnt seem all that hot either. Its warm not hot. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ryan H.   

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: pump may be bad?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »

I just installed a mahoning a couple months ago. Now that its getting cold out it dosnt seem to want to heat the house. Our house is under 3000sq feet. The furnace is 225,000 btu. The hottest I can keep it at is 70. Any higher an the blower will run all nite cuz it wont heat past 70. I also heat our domestic hot water. If I go down in the basement and touch the lines the domestic hot water lines are much hotter than the ones for the forced air.

Could my pump be going out??? Its a taco 009-f4.   I know its working I can hear it running. Not sure how old it is the furnace was a reconditioned one when I bought it with all used components in the back.  Could it just be that it cant keep up to the demand or may be plugged??

The air from the register dosnt seem all that hot either. Its warm not hot. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ryan H.
how far from the hosue is the OWB what size underground lines does you OWB ever get to set temp is the plenum of your forced air furnace FULL of rad, i mean there should be NO room for air to pass around the rad. the blower willpush the air and it will take the path of least resistance, meaning if it can go around the rad it wil this would let your house likley heat well when the temps outside are high but when they go down your blower willn ot be oushing enough heat can you shut your domestic water off (or do what youahve to do ) to get all teh water available from your stove to your plenum test your pump, open the lines near your first appliance and measure how much water you are recieving  you need at least 6GPM and ten is better these are a few  things to look at first
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »

The first question I have is if the furnace can take a much bigger heat draw. In other words is the furnace working hard to keep up with what you are currently pulling off of it.
 Next question, what size of coil did you install? Is the return line back to the furnace still fairly hot?
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:39:18 AM »

House is about 75ft from OWB. I used 1inch pex for the heating and 3/4 inch pex for the domestic hot water. Furnace does get to the set temp. Which is set at 180. Duct work is full of rad. As far as the coil goes I have not a clue. It was installed in the furnace when I got it.  Doesnt seem like the furnace is working all that hard.  It heats up to temp fairly quick. The return line back to the furnace does not seem all that hot.

Thanks
Ryan H.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »

Okay, what I meant to ask is what size is your coil/radiator in the duct work and how thick is it. I use a three row coil and sizes starting at 16x16 up to 20x20 for most applications.  From what you are saying it may be a damaged or undersized pump. I'm not really familiar with the way mahoning is designed so I'm afraid I'm not the best of help.  I do know a undersized coil in your duct will make a big difference.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:51 AM »

The radiator is pretty good size like 25 by 28. I think its 120,000 or 130,000 btus?

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »

Well, you should be good there. Maybe needs a pump with more flow or more head. You should be able to get enough heat through a 1' line to work a 225,000 btu furnace fairly hard. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 02:46:08 PM »

Got the problem fixed!!!   Needed a new pump!!!

Thanks for all the help.

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:24:11 AM »

Well back to the same problem!!!    I have no heat!  If I go down to the heat exchanger my lines are cold. But when I go outside to the furnace and remove the return line on the furnace an let it pump, the water is cold then gets hot.  I hook it back up, let it circulate and go check my exchanger and the lines are hot as hell. An im good to go for a while. I woke up this morning and my registers are throwing cold air. Go out do the same thing I now have heat. 
Is it possible I have air in the line??  Or I'm sucking in air somewhere an it air locks??  I thought maybe the nipple on the bottom of the furnace for the return line was plugged but thats not the case I checked it. 

Help!!   

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »

what pump did you put on when you got a new one. if you got the same 09f pump i would make a guess it is not pump enough for your application get an 0011

if you still have the smaller pump it is designed for little head pressure 10 gpm at the least amount of head and it drops off very fast

according to charts you should be able to get by with the 09 but it seems clear that you can't

when you take the lines off at the furnace you relieve a lot of head pressure and teh pump starts to work again but when you put the lines back on the pump starts to slow down the GPM it is pumping and perhaps the air in the system (yes there is some) starts to gather in teh pump and it starts to "slip" (it is not powerful enough to push the little bit of air out and so the air stays in the pump  and that means less water gets in also) as this air keeps building up the water amount keeps getting less untill there is no water movent. You may test this by just feeling the pump.  when your rads are cold even when the house is calling for heat feel your pump,if the pum is very hot and the lines on each side are cooler, then you know your pump is cavitating.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »

Ok, I have it set up now that I added a piece of pex to my line an I have it pumping into the fill top on the top of the furnace, and its circulating fine.  I have more heat now them I EVER did.  So its probebly the pump??
Its a 009-BF5-J. This is what mahoning gave me and said it was plenty big enough?

Thanks
Ryan H

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »

Ok, I have it set up now that I added a piece of pex to my line an I have it pumping into the fill top on the top of the furnace, and its circulating fine.  I have more heat now them I EVER did.  So its probebly the pump??
Its a 009-BF5-J. This is what mahoning gave me and said it was plenty big enough?

Thanks
Ryan H
glad you have it working
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

94supercam

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 02:23:33 AM »

Thanks for a all the help guys.
Gonna get a bigger pump.