Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Plate heat exchanger questions  (Read 3728 times)

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
Plate heat exchanger questions
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »

I have a twenty year old Taylor wood boiler that i have been rebuilding.  It came with a factory installed domestic coil and not knowing the condition of it, I opted to remove it in favor of the plate type heat exchanger.  My question is do plate heat exchangers supply a continuous supply of hot water for domestic use and what is the average temperature of the water.  Also what gpm pump are ya'll using that seems to work best.
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

muffin

• View Profile
Re: Plate heat exchanger questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »

I have a 20 plate exchanger for my hot water.  They do supply endless water as it is made on demand.  I would say my water is very close to the boiler temp.  I have a mixing valve to cool it off.  I initially had a small taco 09 pump and it did fine.  I think that is around 8 GPM.  I upgraded to a 30-40 GPM pump for my pool exchanger. Still works great.  I even have a bypass on it so only part of the flow goes through it.

abarton

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll be fine with the thirty plate then.  I too have a pool and toyed with the idea of later on heating it. What kind of discharge temps do you get above water temp (delta-t) and how many gallons is your pool and what size hx are you using for that?  Hope thats not too many questions.  Thanks Andrew
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »

No problem.  My pool is indoors and is 25K gallons.  I will caution it is a big load on the furnace, but by far the cheapest heating option except solar which I use in the summer.  My system is a salt water version so I had to go with the more expensive titanium tube in shell type.  I got a 155K BTU exchanger.  I do not seems to be getting that out of it though, but I put it at the end of my line so it gets the leftover heat when nothing else needs it.  I get about a 20* boiler temp drop across it and the pool water increases about 5-10 degrees at ~60 GPM.  So it runs for 4-5 hrs per 1-1.5 degrees increase.  I got a really nice thermostate for it that has a 0.3*C differential.  I loose about 1-2 degrees a day into the earth :(.  My water table is very high and despite all my efforts I still get water behind the liner which really draws the heat out.

abarton

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »

Thats pretty good for 60 gpm.  Thats almost 500 pounds of water per minute!!   Thats about 500k btu but I did'nt figure the degrees C.  but thats still pretty close.  What size heater do you have?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »

Thats pretty good for 60 gpm.  Thats almost 500 pounds of water per minute!!   Thats about 500k btu but I did'nt figure the degrees C.  but thats still pretty close.  What size heater do you have?
My calculations don't match yours. I get about 30,000 pounds of water per hour at 60gpm. That comes out to 150K btu at 5 degree rise or 300K for 10 degree rise.

If the boiler water temperature is dropping 20 degrees and the pool water is rising 5 degrees then assuming the 60gpm is correct then the boiler water is going 15gpm.

abarton

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:04:36 PM »

Sorry your correct RSI!  It was late and I was just guessing at it.  I did not know if the formula would work with centigrade measurements or not.  Since you pointed it out I grabbed a calculator and came up with the same thing   GPM=.002xBtu/deltaT

bigbird1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »

I went with the 30 plate,  we can take two showers and run the washer,  but I was always one for over doing things,  it puts out close to what you have the boiler temp set to , so if you have kids put a mixer in line.  My wife likes it hotter for dishes and cloths so I didn't put the mixing valve in yet.

Ridgekid

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »

bigbird- I got a 20 plate and have it running the same way. Do you use your HWH as a storage tank?