Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ridgewood Stove vs Woodmaster  (Read 28695 times)

robins44

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgewood Stove vs Woodmaster
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »

Ya I think I'm gonna spring for the larger stove and try and get him to throw in some more insulated line.

6pacmac

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »

Ya I think I'm gonna spring for the larger stove and try and get him to throw in some more insulated line.
      So how did it go?   Get tim to paint it better.
Ridgewood 6000

robins44

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

still waiting on the bank  >:(

mremm

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »

I had tapped into my neighbors Woodmaster 5500, as he is elderly and I did most of his wood anyway. I'm just not getting my 2500 sq ft house up past 65 degrees, so I'm looking at putting in my own stove.
I don't want to spend a fortune, so the Ridgewood looks good to me - $3300 instead of $5000 or more. I'll have to call and ask about the non-blower aspect, although I had to change both blowers on the neighbor's during January of this year - I think my hands are finally thawed.

6pacmac

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »

The damper, non blower set up works good on the Ridge boiler.   But I think a blower is now available as an option.
Ridgewood 6000

mremm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 12:20:33 PM »

Thanks. I'll call and see.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »

I can assure you you'll get a good answer, no manufacturer would tell you something don't work well. 

I'd rather pay the extra and be with a company that will actually will be in business in a couple years.  With the new regs they won't be here to offer any support in the future.  I also don't like the idea of using scrap metal to build stoves.  The metal in your boiler should be clean and new when you first start it up.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

andrewstrucking

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 06:19:25 AM »

Hello All,
           I purchased a ridgewood 7500 last october (2011) installed it my self, I installed 500 ft. of pex going to 3 buildings. total of 5000 sq. foot not including my hot water, which I ended up using a 20 plate. i used the pumps and pex that ridgewood recommended, I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about it all, i thought worse case i would have to eliminate 1 of the buildings if the furnace struggled. Considering we had above average temps here in michigan this year, the furnace produced as it should and i could not be more happier with my 3000.00 plus savings compared to a big name furnace. I have friends with woodmasters, heatmor and central owb's. I can say the natural draft was not an issue, but I'm pretty confident it will not burn green wood like the forced air models. I had no problem finding seasoned wood, so this was not an issue ( I did mix some green in with seasoned and still no issues). i can also add that each of my friends at one time or another every winter are changing a fan, there again not an issue for me. although I bought an extra solenoid, which is what works the draft door on the ridgewood., but did not need it this season. Certainly the warranty is a concern because if ridgewood go's out of business, the warranty is useless, i hope other people see how good the product is, buy from him, ridgewood will stay in business and everones warranty will be valid. Just wanted to put my infomation out there for all the people that were skeptical like myself.

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »

Thanks for the info! What was your wood usage and burn times?  The only thing that stopped me from getting one is they are not UL listed which my insurance company requires. I anlm looking at timberwolf now.

Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

jbc

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 08:30:48 AM »

Just for a little update on the Ridgewood lineup...

I purchased the 7500 unit, installed it myself---heating 2 homes both over 2500sf., plus one pole barn 24x30 uninsulated. The install went as planned, got Taco pumps from Menards, underground from Tim @ Ridgewood for cost ($4.50 a foot!) the rest of my pex fittings from Menards and Home Depo--you can tell that it's wood boiler season--parts for 1" pex sell FAST!...Used the one solid band/barb connections from recommendation of a friend that used the leaking shark quick connects---DO not use them, they will leak upon spring/winter start up and cool down.

Anyhoo, trenched 275 foot of pex 2' down in the ground, bought my heat exchangers off of E-bay for $125+/- a piece, used a old truck radiator and a box fan for the pole barn (cheap and works GREAT!), got my water treatment off line with a test kit....and only had one small leak I had to go back and take care of--typical chinese pipe threading B.S....

After running a few face cord threw the stove (mainly cheap slab wood) it runs absolutely fine---final cost for 2 homes, 275 foot of pex, pole barn--treatment--renting a trencher-$6,600 done-running-working great!...Almost 1/2 the cost of 2 different OWB reps I had out to the house for estimates!...I simply dont see with the resoarses available with the internet why someone would not attempt to install one themself--or for that matter sublet a install (was quoted $1,500) and have a Ridgewood installed at there home/business.

I simply can not see a disadvantage to using this stove manufacture---you cut out the middleman profits (I see no reason to support someone else in these times)--work with a honest well seasoned builder and have a quality product---Thanks a Ton Tim and company!

I am getting use the the large "slap" of the vent of the natural draft system--it rings $$$ saving each and every time I hear it...

JBC

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:25 PM »

Probably not ul listed because of the exposed romex wire going to his pump in the pic. Haha what a joke, some half assed romex connector on the pump. One pic shows ashes almost level with the loading door also. Average stove only weighs 1800? Not impressed.

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 06:35:09 AM »

Hello all,
I am looking at purchasing a Ridgewood stove.  I went out and saw the man who builds the stoves.  The firebox is built out of old propane tanks.  I got to see the welding taking place and everything looks good. This is a newer company but the guy worked for Timberwolf for 10 years. My question is about natural draft, which these are, vs. forced draft.  Also, would a 36 x 44 firebox be adequate to heat 4000 sq. ft.?
natural draft work really well if set up right  ...like force fed boilers. you do not have a blower than runs alot and go bad from time to time.... you would just have a little 24volt motor that opens and closes....not saying they wont go go bad....just saying they dont move as much as one spinning....I will agree with the rest of these guys will he back his welds and boilers up? and what bothers me he is using old propane tanks to begin with not buying newer metals welding on older metals are more likely to have pits and corrusion..... some you can see and others you dont.....
it's all up to you in the end...do you spend little more for a bigger name wich is not always the best quality welds but have warranty.....long as the go buy what they say.....
kelly
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H
Pages: 1 2 [3]