Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Draining my Central Boiler?  (Read 14426 times)

Axeman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Draining my Central Boiler?
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:43:50 PM »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is neccessary to drain the water from your stove every year or couple years? I have had my central boiler for 6 years now and I have never drained and re-filled it. I've heard its good to do this and I have also heard its bad. Any help is appreciated.

HandyMark

• View Profile
Re: Draining my Central Boiler?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »

I do not think it could be a bad thing as long as you do not leave it empty. I can not find my manual at the moment to see what effect this may have on the warranty. Seems to me the most important thing is to keep testing the water chemistry.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »

open your drain valve and likley the first bit of water to escape will be dirty, this is showing you the amount of debris and rust in your water. if this dirty water does not clean up in a few seconds then you are pretty sure your boiler water is extrmemly dirty and should be changed. If your water runs clear in 1 or two seconds after you open the drain cock then i would say to just top up your chemical and leave it alone

this is the opinion of myself and a few others and i have no scientific proof that this is fact (but it makes sense)

dirty water plugs rads and plate exchangers and cause your system to lag (the dirt and stuff in your water may coat the walls of your appliances and cause heat transfer to be slowed)

if your water is clean then everything in your system stays clean and performs at tip top levels (and should also be chemically treated per your manufactures instructions)

The dealer that told you to change your water every three years is likley using a general rule that works on an average of users (and likley not a bad idea) use your own judgment and go longer or a shorter period of time depending on your water quality )
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »

Don't change every year..  Keep Chem levels monitored and I reccomend draining every 3-4 seasons and start fresh
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:15:11 AM »

I just asked my dealer and he said changing water is no longer recommended. Test and treat as required. That is on the classic boilers. Not sure about the gassers.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »

I just asked my dealer and he said changing water is no longer recommended. Test and treat as required. That is on the classic boilers. Not sure about the gassers.

Water is water and steel is steel, it's a good idea to flush every 3-4 years and start over with chems if for nothing more than to get rid of what's settled out of the water
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:43:55 AM »

And what is settleing? Ive been running my 5036 for 4 years and havent added any water. Also I test the water and that hasnt changed.

woodfuel

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: cl5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 07:52:49 AM »

Does anybody have an answer for this? I have the 5036 and it has been 4 seasons.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »

I personally dont like to flush OWBs, unless you totally get your chemicals/treatments out of whack.

I also come from previous experience of the Closed loop world, and a few Glycol-systems, where once a system was up and running you tried to keep it closed up as much as possible.  You did not want to add fressh water because of the oxygen (trapped in the water) that you were adding to the system.

mark64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »

I was wondering exactly the same thing. My dealer said to drain it every 3 years and this will be my 5th on a 5648 stove I bought used. Hate to deal with doing it if it's not really needed.

CTF250

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00:16 AM »

Ive never changed the water in my 5036 and its been running since 2008.  I maintain the water chemistry on a regular basis and change the inline water filter annualy. 

Central Classic 5036

Case 480e backhoe loader
IH Cub 154
Husqvarna 372, 262 and stihl 290
1986 Ford F350 6.9 Diesel 4x4 dump