Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Warning, do your maintenance!!!!!  (Read 2040 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Warning, do your maintenance!!!!!
« on: December 30, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »

Today I had a couple of visitors stop by, the first was a new customer who has become a friend, he stopped to bring over a cold adult beverage and talk about how much he likes his new boiler.
The second was an old customer and friend, lets for ease of distinction call him Brian.
Brian has had the boiler that I sold him for about 9 years now, he has worn out several saws cutting wood to feed his old boiler and has perhaps become a bit careless with his maintenance, you see a few years back the chain brake on his saw gave up the ghost so he simply removed it and never fixed it! My new friend admitted while we were all talking that his did the same last year and he as well removed it!
Brian would not allow me to take any pictures as I think he was a bit embarrassed but let's just say this, he never was a very handsome man but he is less handsome today, about 6 weeks ago while he was cutting some small wood up that he had scavenged and dumped in the yard his saw tip hit a stray stick of wood and kicked back and up into his face, he was very lucky that he was not throttled up when it hit him alongside his nose and next to the eye, it went clean to the bone in the eyebrow area, listen up guys, if you never take heed to another thing this old long haired Libertarian says, Please take heed to this, if your saw needs maintenance, get the damned thing fixed, Brian could have very easily bled to death with nobody around, he would have left a wonderful wife, two great kids that love their Dad and two very overweight and stupid dogs. My new friend says that before he starts his saw again, he will fix the chain brake!
Be careful and have a great new year!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

FrozenMongrel

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
Re: Warning, do your maintenance!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 02:29:36 PM »

I'll admit that I was the one that had stopped by 1st. I had actually completely forgotten about the chain brake not working on my saw as I never use it. Was quite the wake up call to see how quickly things can become very dangerous. Brian is one lucky guy to not have died from the kickback of his saw. His skull over his right eye is what stopped the chain. If he had been on the throttle when the tip caught he would not have been able to stop by for a visit. It's so easy to keep things maintained, the risk of not isn't worth it. I had pulled the busted brake off in the middle of cutting up several cords of wood in the fall of 2015. I'm glad to say it hasn't bit me yet, but being reminded that my saw didn't have a brake in that way was enough to make me stop and get it fixed before I start it another time.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
Re: Warning, do your maintenance!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »

I have always been about safety first. I did some clearing jobs when I was younger in some really nasty timber. I always wear chaps and a helmet and good boots. I bought safety equipment for everybody working with us. Some guys chose not to wear it and bad things happened. Lucky no one was ever seriously hurt. Always do you maintenance and wear the safety gear. Chainsaws don't have feelings.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.