Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: fan upgrade and damper on shaver 165  (Read 11104 times)

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
Re: fan upgrade and damper on shaver 165
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »

http://www.woodboilersolutions.com/

I meant to put this on my last post.

Good Luck!
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

doow14

• OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 06:28:07 AM »

I put my drywell thru the top,read back in the shaver section and there is a couple good decriptions on were to place the drywell.If you take the siding off the back gable end that will give you a little room to work, open up the inspection plate so you can see into the water jacket you will be able to figure the right placement.If you can mount the controller indoors,its a lot nicer then having it in the back of the stove.good luck.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

Wood Nutt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »

Here is the back of my Shaver with the Rancho which I assume you are installing.  Left of it is the drywell installed by Shaver, but you could as easily run the temp sensor end up to the top of the boiler.

The small blue line is the not used fill line since my well water is too hard (I haul water to add).  I heat the house and a detached shop and put 8 thermometers in my two loops.  the other 4 are in the in and out at the water to air heat exchangers.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »

Here is the back of my Shaver with the Rancho which I assume you are installing.  Left of it is the drywell installed by Shaver, but you could as easily run the temp sensor end up to the top of the boiler.

The small blue line is the not used fill line since my well water is too hard (I haul water to add).  I heat the house and a detached shop and put 8 thermometers in my two loops.  the other 4 are in the in and out at the water to air heat exchangers.

Say Wood Nutt...can you email me photos of the rear of your Saver, but have the photos in the vertical position?  My neck gets stiff looking sideways.  LOL!  I think I might need to do some modifying of my unit come warm temps.  Thanks
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Wood Nutt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »

Lugnut, Probably the easiest solution is to lay down on the couch with your laptop on a TV tray and look at my pictures from there :D  You can also soak up all of the warmth from your stove percolating outside! :thumbup:

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »

wood Nut,

Looks really good, have one suggestion though. You should be coming from the top of the furnace and returning to the bottom. Heat rises and the water is warmer up there.

Is there any special reason you did it this way?

Greg Steinacher

shaver1652008

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 165
  • the back of my shaver165 hooked up temporally
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 09:27:42 PM »

I also have my pump coming out the bottom and return line go to the top so the pump dont work so hard and gravity/water pressure helps push the water.
When I was installing the owb I went back to the Web site many times and found they had a update on one of there pages saying they found a better way to hook up the stove and it was this same way.
it made sense to me so I followed there instructions.
Keep on keeping on.

Wood Nutt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »

Greg, my Shaver manual says "Recent research has shown that its better to have the pump at the bottom and the return line where the pump is shown now!  Simply reverse what is shown and you will have a better setup".  It says this on page 21 of the manual.  That is why I set it up this way, manufacturer recommended.  I also remember reading when I was researching that with the pump on the bottom, if the stove were to boil over and lose a bunch of water, its less likely to ruin a pump.  I keep track of the stove and hope that never happens, but it is unattended most of the time.

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 09:12:36 AM »

Wood Nut,

One of my customers did the same thing. There was supposed to be an insert in the manual that stated to disregard putting the pump on the bottom. Sorry you did not get the insert. If you are happy with the way it is I see no problem. The only other thing is if there would be any sediment, like lime or something it will go in the pump with it being on the bottom. 

Hope this helps.

Greg Steinacher

Wood Nutt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »

Thanks Greg.  The manual looks like it could use a general overhaul, a lot of apparent corrections and updates put in it over the years and being stuck in there at various places is pretty obvious.  Its not the easiest read for a manual in my experience. 

I will probably leave my stove as is.  I ended up hauling water to fill it initially and also haul water and fill it with a nurse tank I built to keep it topped off, so not much chance of anything getting in it since I use municipal water and transfer it between two different containers before it goes into the stove (the 5-gal container I haul fill water in and then the 15-gal nurse tank that pumps it into the boiler.  I just hope I don't have alot of the manufacturing gunk that some of the other posts on this site show!  I have circulated enough now, I think I would have sucked something in there by now if it was going to happen.

I wonder how much stratification happens in the stove since I run my pumps 24/7 and things are continually circulating.  My heat well for the Ranco is in the upper part of the tank and when it is pulling heat out at the house and/or shop, dumping the cooler water in the top, the temp in the top is lower than the thermometers I have where water leaves the boiler at the bottom.  Since the cold water should sink when it enters the boiler, doesn't it have to pass by the heating chamber and would gain the heat back when passing thru?  it also dumps in at the back and pulls water out from the front of the boiler, so also has to pass thru the length of the tank too.   What do you think about  that theory?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:38:45 PM by Wood Nutt »
Pages: 1 [2]