Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Leaky sweat joint  (Read 2637 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Leaky sweat joint
« on: May 24, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »

Does anyone know if there is a compound available that will stop a leaky sweat joint on a copper pipe?  It's on the domestic water line coming into the house.  My sweat skills have a lot to be desired so I'm a bit reluctant to try but I will if there is no compound that I can simply apply to stop the leak. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: Leaky sweat joint
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »

Sometimes if you can drain the water out of it, heat it up again with a torch it will seal  itself, let cool before refilling.
Western Maine

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:49:23 PM »

I have seen doing that turn the water in the joint turn to steam and blast the liquid solder out.

If you so try soldering, I would plan on having to take it apart and re-sweat.

I am not sure they still make the stuff but they used to make some putty stuff that was for that purpose. I tried some many years ago and it worth of worked.

greasemonkoid

• OWF Model: NCB175
  • wnc mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:25:20 PM »

There are alloys that melt in boiling water, not sure if they adhere to copper though. I've got a chunk, have yet to find a good use for it after 20 years.

Soldering seems like a sort of black magic to me. Filling a gap without it running out remains a mystery. I just finished hooking up my heat exchangers and out of a dozen joints 4 leaked. It only happens when it's copper to brass. Copper to copper seems foolproof.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 02:58:05 AM »

There are alloys that melt in boiling water, not sure if they adhere to copper though. I've got a chunk, have yet to find a good use for it after 20 years.

Soldering seems like a sort of black magic to me. Filling a gap without it running out remains a mystery. I just finished hooking up my heat exchangers and out of a dozen joints 4 leaked. It only happens when it's copper to brass. Copper to copper seems foolproof.

greasemonkoid - The leak is exactly where you describe, at a copper to brass fitting.  Looks like I'll be draining the water and drying it the best I can to make an attempt to resolder it myself.  Thanks.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 07:19:21 AM »

Blue Monster makes a compression seal tape I saw on the shelf at the supply house a couple months ago. Never tried it myself, but the guy at the counter said it works well and the label was pretty encouraging as well. Those copper to brass joints can be troublesome sometimes, the best I've found is to clean and flux the heck out of the "face" of the brass cup (perpendicular to the pipe) as it's quite a bit thicker than the cup on a copper fitting and tough to feed solder into otherwise. I've had my fair share of leaks over the years and it's kind of a crapshoot on getting those to seal without taking the joint apart. Is this in a position that you are able to disassemble the joint without cutting?

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 08:20:02 AM »

Blue Monster makes a compression seal tape I saw on the shelf at the supply house a couple months ago. Never tried it myself, but the guy at the counter said it works well and the label was pretty encouraging as well. Those copper to brass joints can be troublesome sometimes, the best I've found is to clean and flux the heck out of the "face" of the brass cup (perpendicular to the pipe) as it's quite a bit thicker than the cup on a copper fitting and tough to feed solder into otherwise. I've had my fair share of leaks over the years and it's kind of a crapshoot on getting those to seal without taking the joint apart. Is this in a position that you are able to disassemble the joint without cutting?

wreckit - I'll have to look up the Blue Monster stuff, I've never heard of it.  No, I'll have to cut it out, it'll be easier to fix on my workbench as opposed to me being tied into a pretzel trying to get to it.  I'm thinking that I can install a copper coupler once the leak has been fixed.  None of the copper to copper joints leak, only the copper to brass.  Thanks for the tip.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire