Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Antifreeze for the Shaver  (Read 12031 times)

lugnut

• View Profile
Antifreeze for the Shaver
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie here and the proud owner of a Shaver 250.  I have two other posts on this site but on different pages.  One post deals with moisture meters; the other deals with at what temp do I set the thermostat on the rear of the furnace.  I suppose I could have posted over here on the Shaver page....so moving on.....

I have the Rust Blocker in my furnace and I'm curious about the antifreeze.  My furnace is about 115 feet from my house and the pipes are but 2' under the surface.  What kid of antifreeze do you suggest and how much would I require for the Shaver 250?  Friend tells me they use RV antifreeze...any pros/cons regarding using this in the OWF?

Thank you in advance and tomorrow I'm sure I;'ll come up with more questions.  Yes, I do know that this is a learning experience and I'm looking forward to getting that first gas bill.  :-)

Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Antifreeze for the Shaver
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »

I would not use RV antifreeze. It is just mostly alcohol.
Alcohol has a much lower boiling point that water so it will all just leave out the overflow pipe and you will be left with just water.

If you really need antifreeze, Glycol is the best thing to use but real expensive.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:38:27 PM »

i think antifreeze should be a last resort...i use it in my outbuilding heat supply but i have that as a closes systemand does not mix with my boiler water.

if you have a back up heat system it should keep the OWB from freezing as long as the pump is circulating the water from the OWB

if you lose power and no pumps are moving the water you could very well have a problem is you were away for the right length of time (how much that is i don't know)

if you use antifreeze it will be expensive and you should use the "non toxic type that also wont harm your boiler" i am not sure of the trade name but it will be costly. most folks that have these OWB are in rural areas with farm tiles or drainage tiles that go to a ditch or creek and if you were to dump a mixture of 3 or 4 or 5 hundred gallons of auto antifreeze into the neares creek or river, i think you would find yourself in hot water of a different kind.

make sure your anitfreexe is non toxic and safe for mild steel

sorry i couldnt be more helpful on types of antifreeze
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:30:27 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  Willie, I do live out in a rural area and I have well water and I'm very careful as to what goes onto my ground, however thank you for your concern, it is very much appreciated.  I do have my house gas furnace as a back up  in case the fire goes out in the OWF.  I just want to cover all the bases, in case I do have to go away and for some unknown reason the pump stops operating and the temps dip way down.

I understand the antifreeze, if used should be of the glycol variety because of the toxicities posed by other antifreeze products.  I did read where Dow Frost is the type to go with.  I suppose I need to contact Shaver or one of their distributors and check on pricing and how much Antifreeze I''d have to use.

RSI: thanks for the info on the RV antifreeze.  This is why I like this site, because of all the useful info and for the most part, folks on here aren't going to mislead  a guy.

So back to my search for antifreeze.  I forgot to mention that I reside in North East Wisconsin.  I was trying to find the area on here to insert my where abouts, but alas every website is different and all I've been doing is reading and not trying to set up a profile.  Will let all know what I've come up with.

Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:13:16 AM »

Click on your profile tab and add your location under your signature.

Welcome to the site!

Firechaser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »

P&M recommended I use 30% RV antifreeze.
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:48:07 AM »

Folks, rv antifreeze will evaporate realllly fast.  I'd think who recommends that doesnt understand how quickly it will evaporate in an open system.  As far as asking the companies what to use, that's a tough one cause some will tell you anything to get you off the phone.  The only antifreeze I'd reccome d is glycol, it is expensive for a reason. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »

I just did a google search on RV antifreeze and it appears that at least some brands use Propylene Glycol. I will have to look into it more later.
One thing I noticed was that the flash point for is is 218 degrees. If you have a boiler over it will be flammable liquid and steam coming out the overflow pipe.

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »

I have decided that i will not use antifreeze in my unit.  I will however look into power back up for the furnace, just in case I'm not home for some reason and it gets really cold and the pump stops.  :-(

Thanks for everyone's  input.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »

Good call sticking with water.  As Wilie G noted, your backup heating system will prevent your OWB system from freezing up - providing you leave your circulating pump on.
Just as an FYI ethylene glycol, commonly used as automobile radiator antifreeze, is very toxic when consumed, especially to animals.
Propylene glycol, mainly known as an RV and plumbing antifreeze, is non toxic.
Water absorbs, and gives up, more heat per change of temperature than either type of glycol.
Muskoka, Ont

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »

Well, now I'm back at looking at the antifreeze thingy again.  My pump runs 24/7 and I do three things twice a day.  I look outside towards the furnace and see if there is smoke coming from the chimney, then I go downstairs and placed my hand on the pex line and check for heat and water movement.

This is all well and good, but what if I go away and the power goes out in the house....for maybe 3 days and the temps dip down below zero.  Then the OWB will not be working nor will the house furnace.  I can see a really huge problems occurring.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to come home to a house that has water up to the rafters in the lower level not to mention the OWB destroyed and the house furnace messed up even more.

I do understand that if the fire goes out in the box, as long as the pump is running the heat from the house gas furnace will keep the water warm and prevent freezing as long as the pump is running....but what if..the worse case scenario? 

This all came up last night when I was over at a friend's shop, the guy who helped straighten out the wonderful auto damper that Shaver sent me....Wally is a pipe/steam fitter by trade and he told me about all the heating systems hes put in and that they all use antifreeze.  He said, " I can't imagine you having all that money in the furnace and pex line and not have antifreeze in the system.  Given how often you guys go on vacation during the winter for warmer climates. "

I have no back up in case we have a power failure, although we have discussed it before living out here where we do, but right now it's not in the budget.

So I will be sending emails out this afternoon to local sores inquiring about antifreeze.  I DO appreciate everyone's responses and I understand this is my call...while I'd like to just  sluff it off and wing it, if I'm wrong..it WILL be a very costly mistake.. :(

Lugnut

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:57:28 AM by lugnut »
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »

One of my suppliers said they can get glycol seconds but never gave me a price for it. He says it works just as good. The only difference it that the manufacturer has it in a huge tank and let it settle. Then the normal 1st quality stuff is taken off the top. What is left they sell as seconds.

If you want me to check on pricing, let me know.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »

lug//  i am not against antifreeze i just dont use it as i am not a traveler. if you do travel a lot and are away for extended periods of time and have no family or friends that you can trust to look after your stove for you, then yes, as your steam fitter friend suggests, you should be looking at the antifreeze end of things.

i know every one says that the water gives up heat much faster than  the antifreeze mix but i dont think it makes much difference in our case. and if it does cause you to lose a bit of efficiency, that is made up with "peace of mind"

the antifreeze may be expensive and if you have a break or a leak then that money is gone and you have to do it again

if i had friends to count on i would say water...if you don't think you  can bother your  friends or family with the burden of feeding your stove while away or looking after it if the power goes out then i would say yes..antifreeze

good luck with what ever you do
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »

I think Willie is right on, if you dont have a friend or family member you can trust to look after Owb and plan on being away for extended periods glycol will be a good investment. I have put it in a lot CW systems over the years. Most engineers call for 30% ratio around here.
If you do install make sure there is no way water can back up from heating system into domestic water.

Another option is to install backup generator and install circuit for heating system on it. Will keep pumps running to prevent freezing.

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:15 PM »

Willie and Mike...I have friends I can count on, it's just that we all live in very opposite directions.  Both my nearest friends, well chad lives about 25 miles west of me ad Paul lives about 30 miles north of me.  I have a couple folks here, but don't know if I want to bother them.

I try my best not to go away any place warm in the winter because sure as I do, it will snow 123" and the wife STILL DOESN'T know how to use the new tractor and all I would hear would be..."why did you have to go away down south....?"  I've learned my lesson,
BUT....there's always that "what-if" in the back of my mind.  I think too, the deciding factor will be the price of the antifreeze.

I "have considered the back up generator" and that might happen next year.  I have to keep all my options on the table.  Thanks guys.  I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Jerry

Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
Pages: [1] 2