Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best thermostat to get....re-hashing an old thread....  (Read 2950 times)

lugnut

• View Profile
Best thermostat to get....re-hashing an old thread....
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »

View Profile
        Email
This posting was in response to a query regarding installing another thermostat instead of using the one on the rear of the Shavers. Response was from Russ, the Shaver salesman out of Maryland.

I do have a Ranco 111000 on its way to my humble abode and so here are my questions:

1)  The well that goes in to the rear of the furnace or water jacket if you will..... how far down  into the tank should this well go?

2)  Do I want the well IN the water or just IN the air space of the water jacket?

3)  Will I have issues down the road with the metal shavings from the drill bit getting into the water?

4)  I don't have a snake, but I do have a Shaver 250 OWB how do I wire this bad boy?

5)   Putting the cart before the horse...at what temperature should I set the thermostat?

Re: Whats the best thermostat to get.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »

Reply with quoteQuote

As for the well .  drill a hole about 14" back on the top of the furnace.  One guy just used a 12" piece of copper tube with a cap soldered on the end . At the top you can use a reducer or just flare the end so when you drop it in the hole the reducer will catch it.then drop in the probe from the Ranco and put a little silicone around the hole to seal it up and your done.
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

JBG

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Best thermostat to get....re-hashing an old thread....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »

I removed the top rear cover on the furnace and drilled a hole in it.  This worked good because
I didn't have to worry about shavings plus there is not much room to get a drill in there.  I inserted
a 12"x1/2" copper pipe through the hole and put a cap on one end and a 1/2" male adapter on the
other to keep it from falling in the tank.   The only thing is you have to drill the hole so the well don't
interfer with the coil in the tank.  It worked out for me to drill near the left side of the lid if you are looking at it
from the rear,  plus I mounted the Ranco on the left side.
I'm not sure how others have done it but I just didn't like the idea of drilling directly into the tank.  Hope this helps!
JBG
Shaver 290
37 Ton Northstar log splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »

Lug nut buddy, by the time your done with this project you'll br mr fix it lol

Bet you didn't know you were gonna learn how to build a stove :)
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »

Lug nut buddy, by the time your done with this project you'll br mr fix it lol

Bet you didn't know you were gonna learn how to build a stove :)

Scott, you don't know how much I appreciate all this information I've been soaking up.  My hot rod is tore apart for the winter, so now I have to concentrate on the furnace.  I've made new distant friends, at least I consider y'all friends and have found that if I want to know anything about my Shaver...don't call the company, just ask your questions on this website!!  This speaks volumes of the experience all you folks have.   :thumbup:

Now who 's got a heating problem?   LOL!!

Lugnut
aka: Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles