Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hooking up to indoor boiler  (Read 2835 times)

jrhirschey

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Hooking up to indoor boiler
« on: October 03, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »

I am tying in a 1450 to a pressurized oil boiler with 4 zones. 3 for baseboard heat 1 for indirect DHW. I planned to put stub ins on the return to the furnace after the circulators for a 50 plate heat exchanger and turn the set point on the burner down to 160. I have a coldstart control on the boiler (150,000 btu) Was wondering if I should go with a wrap around to keep the boiler hot all the time then I wont have to turn the temp down on the boiler. Downside to that is a warm basement when heating the pool in the summer. Any thoughts would be great.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Hooking up to indoor boiler
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »

I used another plate ex to heat pool ,   I have 3 ports on my stove that way keep the heat out of the basement
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »

Primary secondary plumbing is preferred on any cold start boiler and instead of turning the existing aquastat on the oil boiler down simply install another aquastat on the incoming wood boiler line, use the break on rise terminals to interupt B-1 wire on the burner motor, this allows the oil burner to remain the way it is designed to run but can't fire unless the wood boiler fails
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

jrhirschey

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »

Slim Jim you are saying install the 50 plate exchanger on the return leg to the boiler and disable the oil burner with an aquastat on the incoming water line from the outdoor boiler. My installer wants to put a different aquastat on the oil burner which would be able to turn down 160 which would not be ideal baseboard temp. sounds like your idea would be better. My installer is very good just not as experienced with OWB. I thought a wrap around pump would eliminate having to change anything on on my existing boiler but I am not keen on spending the money on electricity for 2 circulators to be on 24/7 if I heat my dhw in the summer when heating the pool. What would you set the other aquastat at 150?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »

If you have a cold start oil boiler then there is no need to heat that boiler with the wood boiler, this means a primary loop from the heat exchanger out to your zones and back to the heat exchanger,that circ runs constant, your zone circs will pull from that loop and your oil boiler will dump into the primary loop when needed but the oil boiler stays at ambiant temp until it is actually needed. when the wood boiler goes out the oil boiler will fire on a call for heat and when the setpoint temp is reached C-1 will activate the circ on the oil boiler and dump its heat into the primary loop, if you or your guy has any questions PM me and we can exchange phone numbers I will explain.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

miyalee515

• OWF Brand: ca
  • OWF Model: 2334
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »

thanks for the tips dude i really appreciate it :)