Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Shaver Sucks!!!!!!  (Read 9301 times)

chrisl

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
My Shaver Sucks!!!!!!
« on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:31 AM »

4 year old 165 top rusted out. Called Weld Rite, and I'm told that unless I can produce water sample results from a lab, no warranty.  Well I've treated my Shaver with boiler treatment and water tested my self ever since I put this stove into use ( I'm Licensed Boiler Operator) I know a few things about boilers and how to operate them.  No where in the warranty paper that came with my boiler did it say water samples had to be sent to a independent lab.  I talked with my dealer he told me he has 5 boilers all sold the same time as was mine that the tops and bottoms have rusted out and Weld rite would not stand behind the boilers.  Since then He told me that he told weld rite to shove it up their a*s and he is no longer a dealer for them.

So I tore into my boiler this last weekend.  What a freaking Joke.  A idiot must have designed this turd, or at minimum someone who has no concept fluid heat transfer.

1. First no-no the 6" head space in the water tank will not allow the metal to be protected from rust, the metal has to be immersed in water/boiler treatment to be protected this and inferior metal is why mine has rusted out. The water jacket should be full, all the way to the top.

2. You can not have the fire box end plates go completely out to the water jacket and get circulation and flow, this is why I can here mine boiling and yet only get 140 deg water going out because I'm using the same damn water in the 5" space between the back of the water jacket and the fire box support plate.

3. Back tank cover....What can I say it doesn't fit, what a joke, you can not get to it, to properly seal it unless the roof is off the boiler.

I patched my back together, because of -10 weather coming, did add some 1" 90's and 24" nipple to get my supply water coming from the center of the water tank.  I will make plans this summer to tear the whole piece of Sh*t down and build it right.  I would not recommend this boiler to anyone, if your considering this boiler I would look else where.  I past up a Central boiler because I thought they were too expensive, in the long run now, It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: My Shaver Sucks!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 05:41:50 AM »

I don't know how they continue to sell boilers with all this bad press. Especially when you can buy a ridgewood for less with twice the quality.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:59:39 AM »

Yep they are a joke. I had all the paperwork from my samples and they still wouldn't cover it. Had to replace bottom and top. Ran the return lines to the front of the tank, did away with the inspection plate and ran the vent out the top.

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »

did you use their boiler treatment or a treatment of your own. if you were using their treatment no tests are necessary. this is in there manual.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »

did you use their boiler treatment or a treatment of your own. if you were using their treatment no tests are necessary. this is in there manual.

There manual aint worth the paper its written on.....  Its a mess

I hate it for innocent folks who think there all the same and have to go through stuff like this. 

Good luck chrisl
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »

Back in 2009, i think, they recommended I use WoodBoilerSolutions.  I did everything they required but it didn't help.  They would tell me they were in talks with WBS but then WBS said they had no idea what I was talkin about.

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »

What I meant to ask was did you use the rust blocker that is advertised on there website. No testing needed for 5 years or something else?

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »

WoodBoilerSolution 101 is the stuff I used.  There is so much slag in the bottom of those tanks for chemicals to work

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 06:50:59 AM »

I wish now I would have taken a better look at the inside of the water tank when it was new. Leaving welding slag behind in an area such as this is pure crappy workmanship. They need to bear responsibility as crapty workmanship seems to be the problem in these failures in such a short time.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »

I agree.  The other problem is that there is no bottom drain to get rid of it.

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »

Weld Rite does not use flux rods or intercore flux mig wire. They use intersheild gas mig welders, there is no slag in gas shielding mig welders!

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »

Then where the hell does all the slag come from?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »

Then where the hell does all the slag come from?

Could it be accumalated mill scale?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 06:35:35 AM »

Weld Rite does not use flux rods or intercore flux mig wire. They use intersheild gas mig welders, there is no slag in gas shielding mig welders!

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726

Are u kidding. I know what slag is and so does my local welder that fixed my stove. Greg you must be the spokesman for Shaver. They are crap and u know it.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »

Hold up for a minute, Greg is a dealer for shaver, the only one on this forum by the way, and he try's to be as helpful with shaver stuff as he can be. He wasn't trying to insult anyone's intelligence. I too wonder what all the crap is if it's not weld slag.
Pages: [1] 2