Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Water temperature settings for Outdoor Wood Furnaces???  (Read 34901 times)

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Water temperature settings for Outdoor Wood Furnaces???
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »

I have done a "search" and found a few comments on water setting temperatures but wanted more info.
Was wondering if you would post your "on and off" settings and why you use these settings.
My Legend was preset at 180/170

Thanks

plumb bob

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL 5036
  • still green
    • View Profile
Re: Water temperature settings for Outdoor Wood Furnaces???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »

185-175  all radiant with baseboard on two levels.

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »

185-175. Forced air and dhw. Thermostatic valve 150F not adjustable.

mgw44

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »

Manufacturer recommended that I set mine with a stop at 170 and a start at 160.

mgw44

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »

Mine is set to 160 on and 170 off, just works good there but I haven't played with it any.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

oldchenowth

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:21:44 AM »

165 on - 185 off.  Seems to be the best setting for my gasifier.  Also helps dry any moisture that may be in some of the wood I have.  Keeps the creosote down also, which seemed to be a big problem for me last season.

mcarter

• OWF Brand: HeatMasterSS
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »

I set mine at 180 degrees.

Supposedly, for temps greater than 175 degrees, oxygen in the water is diminished and this helps prevent corrosion. 

I think another benefit to running a higher temp is less creosote formation.  Creosote acts as an insulator, so less creosote also allows better thermal transfer to the water jacket, increasing your fuel efficiency.

Michael

HeatMasterSS MF5000E by Yoder Heating
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
8lb Wood Splitter with 'High Performance' Fiberglass Handle
5 acres

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »

155 of 140 on seems to burn less wood. Have tried different temps never above 160 though. Operate lower temps during warmer weather.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »

in canada where i live "Health Canada" has a standard that says all rental units must (and home owners are urged) to keep hot water tanks a minimun of 122 degrees F. Any thing below that can be a breeding ground for the bacteria that carries legionaires disease
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »

The on temperature is 180 degrees and the off temperature is set to 193 degrees.

I use 193 degrees as the maximum temperature because it is the highest set point without some spitting out of the top.
Dean

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

Hello....I'm a proud owner of a new owf and I'm mystified by much of the terminology on here.  some of it I can figure out, but most not.

The thermostat on the rear of my wood burner goes from 120 up to 180 and I have no clue as to what temp to set it at.  I left it at 120 the first time in firing it up and it seemed fine, but this being my first wood burner, anything will prolly seem fine.  I will add that I have an "auto damper" on the way, so I've been going back and forth with opening and closing the blower door.

The strap on Aqua-stat that I'm using in the house on the actual furnace is set at 130 degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I will make additional posts on the other pages on this site.  I really do need to get this thing dialed in and yes, I "know" it's a learning experience.

Thank you in advance.

Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »

Welcome to the site Jerry, could you let us know the brand of owb you have? This way someone with the same brand can let you know what they have the best results with.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 07:28:40 PM »

Bull,

First off allow me to say that I've been on most of the pages on this site and that I've learned many things....the furnace I chose after much research is a Shaver.  NOW....before anyone goes and bad mouths this furnace and Shaver, let me tell you that I bought this furnace because of the price.  Total cost so far is under $7,000.00 which is a helluva lot less than what Central Boiler wanted or Royal American.

Yes, there are things that Shaver could have done better, but I am very much satisfied with this 250 unit.  It IS better than the 165 I used to have.  The 165 they dropped at my house last December looked like it was put together by a 2 year old.  I demanded that Shaver send me a BRAND NEW furnace and one that they would be proud to have in their great room and that their wife would display their fine china in.  In the process I also upgraded to the 250.

So Bull, this is what I have, the Shaver 250.  Now only upgrade I have made to this is the strap-on Aqua-stat thermostat on my house furnace and I do have an auto damper on its way from Shaver.

I'm not certain what temperature I should place the thermostat at that is in the rear of the furnace.  I reside in North East Wisconsin and though it's not really cold yet, soon it will be and I don't want to have to keep opening up the rear of the furnace to re-adjust the temp along with opening the cover on the blower.

So my questions would be the following:

1) what temperature should I set the thermostat in the rear of the furnace?

2)  How far do I open the cover on the blower motor?  ( I understand that once the auto damper is connected, I no longer have to concern myself with this).

I've read much about folks installing an Aqua-stat on the rear of the furnaces or even going with the Rancho...if this would be an improvement/upgrade from the existing store bought $6.00 thermostat, how do I go about installing it? 

I'm so happy that I  found this site.  I've read many pages and have lots  more to go yet...and it truly is a learning experience reading everyone's comments.  There is much to be learned here.

I thank whom ever in advance for your suggestions and assistance, BUT please with hold your comments "against" Shaver products....there is a reason for the Shaver furnace and that is for those of us who don't want to spend an arm and a leg on the unit and the installation of said unit.  I figure with what I have in my initial out lay, I'll be able to recoup all my investment in 45 years.

I look forward to all responses. 

Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »

The high setpoint on mine is 185, low setpoint is 180.  Plus, I have it set up to pulse for 30 seconds every 15 minutes, just to keep the coals from going out during this warmer weather when the call for heat can be longer than it takes for the water temp to lower for the blower to turn on.  As some may know, I've had issues trying to keep the fire going during this warm spell and someone recommended that I set the low setpoint 5 degrees lower than the high setpoint.  Plus, someone mentioned that they pulse their OWB.  With these changes, I have not experienced anymore issues with fire going out, yet. 

Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »

Until you get the air shutoff option added I would not go over 160° Otherwise it might boil over if the weather is warm.
Does the boiler have an aquastat in a well or does it have something strapped to the water jacket?

Does it have a temperature gauge on it?
Pages: [1] 2 3