Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Letting her go out  (Read 2683 times)

Ridgekid

Letting her go out
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »

I threw a couple of pieces in Tuesday morning just to keep her hot and to take off the chill in the morning. Also to keep hot water available for the HWH. My intentions are to let her burn out until the next cold spell. Then I left town for two days.... ooops.

I'm using a redi chek monitor and had the alarm set for 190F. Last night it went to 192F and set off the alarm. It woke up the wife who had no clue how to raise the alarm setpoint. So she finally turned the redi chek off.

She checked it again this morning (At the OWB) at it's still 192. So those ambers are still doing thier job. Guess I should consider just letting her go out a little sooner when I know it won't be needed. We'll see how long it takes for her to cool off before I kill the circulating pump.

Nice to know how much heat she retains with so little fuel. 

dirtryder

Re: Letting her go out
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:05:46 AM »

I'm guessing you left the door open? You don't normally run it that hot, do you?

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »

Never run it with the door open. The actual problem was no heat load. Our days were warm enough that the heat never came on.

Wife put a little heat load on it before I came home and it's down to 177F. I decided to pull the fuse to prevent the damper to open. This way it can stay hotter longer. Only the circ pump is still running right now. So OFFICIALLY she is still on. (Yeah female Dragon...I was in the Military) lol

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 09:20:18 PM »

Fired up my 5036 today and it took a little less than 2 hours for it to go from 62 degrees to 185.  The wind was howling here at about 28 MPH with gust up to 45 MPH and the temperature was dropping fast from the forties into the high 20's now.  Snow moved in around 4pm here today, so the OWB is earning it's keep. 
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »

Somewhere there is a 5036 shutting down (mine) and another is started (yours)- Keep warm my friend!

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:58:47 AM »

Keep that cold white stuff out your way MTJAG LOL
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:34:38 PM »

Looks like we plenty to go around it you need some...the first snow is not so bad...it's just that compounding effect over several months that gets bad
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"