Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Antifreeze for the Shaver  (Read 11992 times)

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Antifreeze for the Shaver
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »

A small generator may be cheaper than the antifreeze
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »

A small generator may be cheaper than the antifreeze

Bull, this maybe all well  and good, but what if we're not home?  If it's a really bad storm, I don't expect any of my friends to be coming over  to bail me out.  Not saying they wouldn't but I wouldn't expect them to.

Right now, I'm looking at peace of mind on tow fronts...taking care of an expensive heating system: gas house furnace; finished lower lever; OWB and most importantly: the wife.  If the former fails due to my lack of putting in a back up, then the latter will be really hard to live with. 

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »

LOL I agree with the last part
Southern Indiana

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »

funny how we all seem to meet just "the right woman" and then they turn out to be all the same ;)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »

I've thought this entire subject over and over in my mind...burned a few brain calories in the process.  I have decided that antifreeze is not going to happen because of the cost and that the antifreeze has to be changed out/refreshed every 2-3 years...depending I'm sure on something.  Instead, we're going to go with a whole house Generac generator. 

The initial cost for the whole house generator will be a bit more than the antifreeze, but I will have that peace of mind knowing that "IF" we go away somewhere in the winter and the power goes out..within seconds the aux power will come on.  And a friend of mine says he' would stop over after work and check that the pump is in fact working.  IF the pump were to quit, and the generator is running, the heat from the house furnace will keep the pipes warm.

So now we just have to get through this winter without any sub-zero temps...I told my wife, that if for some reason we "had" to leave for a weekend this winter, if I know somewhat in advance that we're going in the deep freeze...hell I'll just drain the entire system.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »

I think the genset is a better idea than the antifreeze and I am sure you will too in a couple of years if not sooner.
Southern Indiana

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »

I have had a gererac for several years and have no complants. Starts when power goes off shuts down when power comes back on. I think you will enjoy the convience and piece of mind. Not to mention its nice having water,lights and heat  instead of sitting in the dark and cold when power is off.

tinner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »

Could you install another pump in the basement and wire it to come on with the back up generator? Just split the line and install a check valve in the every day line and the pump on the other side. Probably would have to install a timer on the power side so that it would not turn on for however long your gen set does it weekly run up. Although I do not believe it would hurt to have two pumps running for a short time frame.  This is something that I am planning on doing myself next year. But I do not have it all figured out yet.

: )

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 08:47:57 PM »

Could you install another pump in the basement and wire it to come on with the back up generator? Just split the line and install a check valve in the every day line and the pump on the other side. Probably would have to install a timer on the power side so that it would not turn on for however long your gen set does it weekly run up. Although I do not believe it would hurt to have two pumps running for a short time frame.  This is something that I am planning on doing myself next year. But I do not have it all figured out yet.

: )
No check valve or anything would be needed. Just put the second pump in series. A lot of people run 2 pumps all the time.
A second pump is a very good idea and I was going to suggest it if no one else did. Probably putting it on a strap on aquastat to turn on when the pipe gets cold would be best as it would be an automatic backup but then I would also put a light or something on it so you know the first pump died. (it would keep cycling on and off this way but get you through without anything getting cold)

tinner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »

Guessing that he does not need a second pump for lift. My thought was to keep them separated for easier servicing/replacement of the original. I like the idea of the aqua-stat. Good thinking!

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »

You don't need to keep the spare running. Water flows through them ok when they are shut off. It is probably better for backup pump too because the water will probably keep the impeller turning a little and not have it frozen up when you go to start it.

tinner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »

AHHHHH

Understood!

That is why I am the new guy just getting ready to give things a go. And reading all I can.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]